MAG How is Level 4 Mushroom judged

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Valentin

Coach
Hello everyone

Ok so i want to know how is Level 4 mushroom judged in your region/state
The manual specifies 3 circles and a half. The 1st bonus is 3 1/2 circles without a fall, and 2nd bonus is 5 1/2 circles no fall. So that means that no bonus routine is circle stop, circle stop, circle and 1/2 (ideally, but it can be also read circle stop 1/2 circle).

In my State if you do not perform the 3 1/2 circles without a fall you basically take 3.00 points hit immediately bacause of the stops. Which sadly there is no coming back from. I think that is just silly, to have a routine written but judged totally differently. Why don't they just write 3 1/2 stop normal and 4 1/2 bonus #1 and 5 1/2 Bonus #2.

Just would like to know if this is normal all around the country

Region 8 has made an exception to the national JO rules in that a fall on mushroom at level 4 is deducted as .3 for a rythm deduction rather than 1.0 for a fall.

But I think the rest of the country does it the way you're talking about -- a fall is -1.0

Ok... that is pretty messed up. Seems like poor routine design if you ask me.

Agreed.

I completely agree, on principle, with requiring level 4s to do mushroom (which they weren't in previous versions of the rules), but I think region 8's rule exception makes far more sense than the national rules.

Well, you lose 1pt for every fall. So for some boys who cannot even do one circle which means they have 3 falls, that's 3pts plus deductions for form.

However if they merely did 2 circles, fall, circle and dismount, they would only lose 1pt for the fall. I do not remember them taking rhythm deduction if a fall incurred at the judging course.

Val, I would see about taking the judge's course in your region. 1, the culture is not as retarded as WAG judges tend to be since many are coaches and it's also a great way to network. They actually give you reasons that make sense why deductions are taken that tend to be in line with progressing the boys in skill versus in WAG.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back