Parents How is your gymnast holding up so far?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
With so many States, Regionals, Nationals cancelled and gyms closed, how is your gymnast holding up? Mine are doing okay so far. They've been really motivated to do conditioning and are spending about 1.5 doing that in the mornings plus stretching. I'm just not sure if how this will go as gyms stay closed for much longer.

The team is doing nightly videochats and the girls really like that.

Mine had a rough season - it was a growing year for her. She was planning to go from Platinum to lvl. 6, which is roughly like repeating, and she said the hardest part of the shutdown is "I was really looking forward to a good season next year." :(

I’ll tell you what, I give you homeschool families A LOT of credit!!! Puma is a teacher and we still are struggling. We are both having a stiff drink as we speak...o_O (it’s Day one...)
I've quickly discovered I'm more of an "unschooling" mom. So far I'm like, cooking counts as learning! Reading, crafts, work outs, a few previously undone science kits they got for Christmas- all count as school! It's very clear to me that I was right to think I did not have the patience to be a teacher!

I’ll tell you what, I give you homeschool families A LOT of credit!!! Puma is a teacher and we still are struggling. We are both having a stiff drink as we speak...o_O (it’s Day one...)

Attachments

• 856A5E9B-DF46-451E-A4EE-ABE8D4A011C4.jpeg
    856A5E9B-DF46-451E-A4EE-ABE8D4A011C4.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 25
We were in the gym talking, and we have a lot of (traditionally - not for gymnastics) homeschooling families there. And they were like, "Maybe this will change some people's opinions of homeschooling!" And I was like, only in a bad way. People who are thrust into the role out of necessity and not because they chose it rarely have a good experience in the end. Doing the unschooly thing and crafting, cooking, reading, reading reading, documentaries, may be the best way to not murder each other. And in homeschool we love "rabbit trails," if your kid hones in on something, follow it to Youtube, brainpop, netflix documentaries, everything.

I know there are a TON of resources offering free access during the closure, but in my opinion, Brainpop and brainpopJR are the most valuable ones of the bunch for the K-6 set. They are awesome! Mystery Science is a lot of fun too.

My kid and I learned a while back that we are not suited for homeschooling. For now, she is staying in her room during school hours doing the little bit of supplemental work the school has provided and reading. I am getting ready to sign her up for on-line enrichment courses.

I've quickly discovered I'm more of an "unschooling" mom. So far I'm like, cooking counts as learning! Reading, crafts, work outs, a few previously undone science kits they got for Christmas- all count as school! It's very clear to me that I was right to think I did not have the patience to be a teacher!

I can teach other people’s kids, just not my own.

So have the kids just been sent home with no work to do? Are the parents expected to home school?

Our schools are all still open in Australia, but the teachers are preparing to do all their lessons online when and if schools close.

I am surprised by how much mine is missing gym. And it has been less than a week. She has such a workmanlike attitude toward training that it is quite nice for me to see this confirmation of how much she wants to be there.

She is still at school, but is finding the afternoons long. Although, interestingly, only the afternoons when she used to have gym. We live in a quiet dead end street on a hill. Today she was taking her scooter up to the highest part and scooting down the hill (on the footpath, after checking for pedestrians). More scary than watching her on bars! But she seems to need the sensory element of it.

It is going to be a looooooooong six months.

So have the kids just been sent home with no work to do? Are the parents expected to home school?

Our schools are all still open in Australia, but the teachers are preparing to do all their lessons online when and if schools close.
Our governor ordered our schools to close at end of day Monday. Many schools chose to not go on Monday That way, the teachers could work on getting things ready to go for online (or paper packets for those without reliable internet access).

We were supposed to be on Spring Break beginning this coming Friday anyways, so our teachers have until March 30 to have everything ready for Day 1.

Lol, our district even has a "Schedule" for how it will work:
Online Schedule.jpg

Teachers have begun to reach out to their students through e-mail to find out how to make this work.

YG is doing ok right now. The coach has set up a flipgrid and she is uploading workouts they can do at home and can message each other ad post their progress.

At least speaking for the schools where I am, the teachers and kids were on Spring Break when this all happened. And it went from "we're not closing schools" to "school is closed" in about a heartbeat. And even when they closed, it went from one-two weeks to now maybe the end of the year practically overnight. So districts and teachers are working to get everything online that they need but it's not really like that's a quick and easy process. And of course not all children have devices or internet access. :confused:

We have transitioned to online, because all students have laptops. I kind of wish that as long as I’m putting the time into this, we could be in charge of our own homeschooling curriculum though. We’ve homeschooled in the past and the flexibility is the whole point. Having other people trying to dictate our home life schedule is requiring a lot of patience on my part...

My son is hanging in there. He is rehabbing an ankle injury, and is doing 2-3 workouts per day. We are technically on spring break right now, so he is doing some make up work from when he missed for meets, and studying for the SAT. Friends are all on FaceTime for now. His spirits have improved some over the past day or so, but I expect a lot of ups and downs.

My son is hanging in there. He is rehabbing an ankle injury, and is doing 2-3 workouts per day. We are technically on spring break right now, so he is doing some make up work from when he missed for meets, and studying for the SAT. Friends are all on FaceTime for now. His spirits have improved some over the past day or so, but I expect a lot of ups and downs.
Oh I so get the mood swings. It’s like a seismograph over here....ugh!

I have two in college and one in an online school, which is continuing like nothing happened, but he also is dual enrollment with the local community college and are transitioning to all online learning this week. Some will just transition to the online courses already in place. Others will do a mix of live and taped videos along with homework. As for my dd's college. They extended spring break a week and next week will have a mix of live/taped learning for the rest of the semester. The local school system here closed on Friday. This week is being used for teachers to prepare lessons and next week they will begin learning at home through a mixture of sources. I work with the 0-5 population and unfortunately, the preschoolers are being left out of the online learning mix, meaning the parents are going to go stir crazy for the next 6 months (including summer)

This past summer I battled early stage breast cancer that caused me to put my gymnast and her younger sister into public schooling to give myself a break after having home schooled for almost a decade. So now with schools closed as well gym - my girls aren't phased and are easily settling into an unschooling routine like we once had. For example they choose what they want to focus on for the day in a relax manner. Exercise today was playing tennis at the empty community college courts that is a block from our house. My DD's gym will be sending out a home conditioning workout plan but in the meantime she isn't doing anything and instead just enjoying family time together.

My kiddo was one of the lucky few who had their state meet the weekend before everything was cancelled and was looking forward to months of uptraining.
She’s having a hard time- being an extrovert and missing school and gym is hard on her (she’s 10 so old enough to kind of understand but not quite old enough to really grasp everything).
She’s rocking the homeschooling portion of our days and she is conditioning and taking online dance classes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back