WAG How is your workplace complying?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gigi

Proud Parent
Working parents,

It is survey time - we have talked so much about gyms staying open / closing, I wonder how businesses are dealing with it. Please fill out the survey below for fun. It would be interesting to see how private businesses are complying in this small sample of gym parents.

1. My business is in the essential goods category
A) Yes (End of survey. Thank you for your time)
B) No

2. Please respond with your work situation during this time -
A) Mandatory shut down - all must work at home unless your job requires you to be physically there
B) Strongly encouraged to work at home unless job requires you to be physically there
C) Optional work at home - No question asked
D) Optional work at home - check with HR or your manager for approval
E) Optional work at home - refer to policy (ex. if you are high risk, live with someone high risk or show signs of illness)
F) Workplace open, business as usual (Continue to #5)
G) I normally work at home (continue to #5)
H) Other: Please specify

3. Are you working at home?
A) Yes
B) No (Continue to #5)

4. Pay while work at home
A) Full pay
B) No pay
C) Must use sick / vacation / personal days
D) Combination

5. # of employees at your company
A) Over 750
B) 500-750
C) 250-500
D)100-250
E) 50-100
F) Under 50

4. I work at a business that:
A) Occupies a building with no other tenants (coninue to #6)
B) Share office building with multiple businesses

5. Estimate # of employees at your work location that are still working (include all businesses in the building)
A) Under 50
B) 50-100
C) 100-250
D) 250-500
E) 500-750
F) Over 750

6. I am from (optional):
A) Northeast
B) Southeast
C) Midwest
D) South
E) Northwest
F) Southwest
G) Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico

7. Select your industry (optional):
A) Government
B) Education
C) Technology
D) Other

Thank you for your time.

My answer:
B) No

E) Optional work at home - refer to policy (ex. if you are high risk, live with someone high risk or show signs of illness)

A) Yes - with circumstances

A) Full pay

A) Over 750

6. I am from (optional):
F) Southwest

D) Other

I was already a stay at home homeschool mom, but my husband is in the military and he was ordered to work from home for the foreseeable future. He has been home since last week. Obviously the military is huge and the work at home will vary from job to job, and yes they’re still being paid.

B) No

A) Mandatory shut down - all must work at home unless your job requires you to be physically there

A) Yes

A) Full pay

D)100-250

6. I am from (optional):
E) Northwest

B) Education

B) No.
We are a professional services firm, but supply state governments with services that could be considered essential. Our state guidelines specify that professional services firms should have employees work remotely as much as possible.

D) Optional work at home - check with HR or your manager for approval
This runs counter to the state recommendation that as many of us as possible should be working from home. There are only about four people in the entire organization who have a legitimate need to be physically present, and all but one or two of them could do most of their work remotely. Our organization has something of a macho, "never-say-die" culture. Excessive travel is routinely expected, taking time off while sick is frowned upon, working from home is generally discouraged even though we are all equipped to work remotely while on the road, the office never closes for blizzards or hurricanes, etc.

A) Yes

A) Full pay

D)100-250

A) Occupies a building with no other tenants

5. Estimate # of employees at your work location that are still working (include all businesses in the building)
A) Under 50
Notably, most or all of those who are still in the office are aged 60 or older--precisely the people who should be staying home. Our office is located in an area of the state with one of the highest numbers of confirmed cases of COVID-19.

D) Other

B) No

B) Strongly encouraged to work at home unless job requires you to be physically there
Only essential employees are physically there

G) I normally work at home (continue to #5)-About half the time

A) Yes, but I have to go in to get my mail

A) Full pay

F) Under 50

A) Under 50

6. I am from (optional):
C) Midwest

D) Other-Laboratory

B) No

A) Yes

A) Full pay

C) 250-500

N/A

6. I am from (optional):
B) Southeast

D) Other

Kind of? NOt all of us are considered essential, but I an essential..

A) Yes

A) Full pay

A) Over 750

A) Occupies a building with no other tenants (coninue to #6)[

A) Under 50

6. I am from (optional):
H) West

B) Education

I will answer for Myself, My brother, and My sister since we all live together.
1. My business is in the essential goods/services category
Me - B) No (none of my jobs)
Brother - Job 1: Yes and Job 2: No and Job 3: No
Sister - Job 1: Yes and Job 2: No and Job 3: No

Me - G) I normally work at home (continue to #5)

Sister - F) Workplace open, business as usual (Continue to #5),
Job 2: G) I normally work at home (continue to #5)
Job 3: C) Optional work at home - No question asked

Brother - Job 1: H) Other: He has to go in to work (in a gas station, nights) ... but not "business as usual" - he goes in a half hour earlier and is locked in the ENTIRE time instead of just 12am-6am, and he can't sell coffee or donuts or sandwiches or fountain drinks or parfaits.
Job 2: G) I normally work at home (continue to #5)
Job 3: A) Mandatory shut down - all must work at home unless your job requires you to be physically there

Me, Sister Job 2 and Brother Job 2: A) Yes
Sister Job 3: B) No (Continue to #5)
Brother Job 3: B) No (Continue to #5)

All of us: A) Full pay

All of us: F) Under 50

6. I work at a business that:
Myself and Brother Job 1 and Job 3 and Sister Job 3: A) Occupies a building with no other tenants (coninue to #6)
Sister Job 1 and Job 2 and Brother Job 2: B) Share office building with multiple businesses

7. Estimate # of employees at your work location that are still working (include all businesses in the building)
All of us in all jobs: A) Under 50

8. I am from (optional):
C) Midwest

9. Select your industry (optional):
Myself: Job 1: B) Education and Job 2: D) Other: Gymnastics Team Coaching / Social Media Administrator and Job 3: D) Other: Services
Sister: Job 1 and Job 2: D) Other: Home Health Aide and Job 3: D) Other: Services
Brother: Job 1: D) Other: Gas Station Attendant and Job 2: D) Other: Home Health Aide and Job 3: D) Other: Church A/V Production

B) No
*parts of our business are but my role is not

A) Yes

A) Full pay

A) Over 750

F) Over 750

6. I am from (optional):
B) Southeast

D) Other

Working parents,

It is survey time - we have talked so much about gyms staying open / closing, I wonder how businesses are dealing with it. Please fill out the survey below for fun. It would be interesting to see how private businesses are complying in this small sample of gym parents.

B) No

A) Yes

A) Full pay

A) Over 750

A) Under 50 (almost everyone in my building is still working but working from home)

6. I am from (optional):
A) Northeast

B) Education

In higher ed, we have been losing our minds. Almost everyone I know was asked to switch all their classes to online formats with anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks' prep time. I've been working at home and putting in 10-12 hour days six days a week and I am still horribly behind.

I work in a hospital laboratory. I’m expected to show up for my shift.

Husbands company is in NYC. Shipping food related. All now working remotely. Company mail now coming to our house so no one as to commute in. As per our states ”pause”.

We are very fortunate.

In higher ed, we have been losing our minds. Almost everyone I know was asked to switch all their classes to online formats with anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks' prep time. I've been working at home and putting in 10-12 hour days six days a week and I am still horribly behind.
Can you help me understand this? From our perspective at home, my D’s teachers are teaching their same classes at the same times as always, just over zoom, and holding their same office hours, just over zoom.. they’re sticking to their already published syllabi. I guess I didn’t see much as different from their end once the tech was set up to allow them to use zoom from home. I’m being sincere here (since the internet can be tricky that way)- I would love to understand the higher burden my daughter’s profs are facing.

Can you help me understand this? From our perspective at home, my D’s teachers are teaching their same classes at the same times as always, just over zoom, and holding their same office hours, just over zoom.. they’re sticking to their already published syllabi. I guess I didn’t see much as different from their end once the tech was set up to allow them to use zoom from home. I’m being sincere here (since the internet can be tricky that way)- I would love to understand the higher burden my daughter’s profs are facing.
You are very lucky. My state and the ones my brothers live in (as well as a few others I have heard) are basically just sending maintenance work. No new concepts. They can't do consistent live learning because not everyone has access to reliable internet. Our state has already canceled end of year testing and has said that if they don't go back to school (currently May 15, for 2 weeks), grades will be based on what the student had when school was let out 2 weeks ago. If they were failing, they will work to bring the student up to speed. Some teachers are being more interactive and doing some group chats with their classes. I'm sure a lot is going on behind the scenes for students who were struggling. It's a perfect time to give them some one on one time now (with caregiver present, of course).

You are very lucky. My state and the ones my brothers live in (as well as a few others I have heard) are basically just sending maintenance work. No new concepts. They can't do consistent live learning because not everyone has access to reliable internet. Our state has already canceled end of year testing and has said that if they don't go back to school (currently May 15, for 2 weeks), grades will be based on what the student had when school was let out 2 weeks ago. If they were failing, they will work to bring the student up to speed. Some teachers are being more interactive and doing some group chats with their classes. I'm sure a lot is going on behind the scenes for students who were struggling. It's a perfect time to give them some one on one time now (with caregiver present, of course).
We homeschool with (already) online dual enrollment classes, so it’s school as usual for my high schooler. I was talking about my college freshman. She’s home from her tiny LAC doing virtual learning (like all college students) for the rest of the semester.

We lucked out in that our school was already using most of the technology needed to go fully online. Most teachers just had to add in video conferencing or video recording (Zoom / Flipgrid).

I also work in higher ed. Our school told us we could not require students to participate in synchronous work (live zoom lectures) because many don't have reliable internet access. I have students who had to move back to less than favorable conditions with parents or friends, some who don't have laptops, some who are stuck in town because they are international students and don't know when they'll be allowed to go home, others whose only jobs were on campus and are now scrambling to make ends meet. There are so many students who can't just watch a lecture and do their homework that I've ended up needing to talk to many individually about how I can get them through the semester and it's a lot of extra work. That's on top of my other job where I always worked from home, and now homeschooling my DD. Some schools may have simpler ways of doing things, and I'm hoping everything will calm down and fall into a pattern, but at the moment the extra strain has been considerable.

Our district doesn't have an infrastructure for at-home learning either, so they came up with an interim solution to get through the initial two week shut down. Should have known it would be extended, because now they need to come up with something that can sustain longer term. I feel like live classes is the best way to go, Google classroom or emails just can't keep kids motivated enough. Maybe for a week or two but motivation declines the longer we go without live interactive classes and no schedule. I feel like even if it is just share screen with presentation and voice (like work conference calls) would be more effective than just assigning homework through Google classroom. They are doing the best they can. No one expected this situation and without notice. I am just hoping for the best.

I also work in higher ed. Our school told us we could not require students to participate in synchronous work (live zoom lectures) because many don't have reliable internet access. I have students who had to move back to less than favorable conditions with parents or friends, some who don't have laptops, some who are stuck in town because they are international students and don't know when they'll be allowed to go home, others whose only jobs were on campus and are now scrambling to make ends meet. There are so many students who can't just watch a lecture and do their homework that I've ended up needing to talk to many individually about how I can get them through the semester and it's a lot of extra work. That's on top of my other job where I always worked from home, and now homeschooling my DD. Some schools may have simpler ways of doing things, and I'm hoping everything will calm down and fall into a pattern, but at the moment the extra strain has been considerable.

MIL -

Yep. I surveyed mine before, when it became pretty clear we were going out. Several indicated that they would not have reliable access to internet at home. From classes that simply met for which I had a mixture of discussion and lecture, I had to completely revamp so that I could get the content to my students and develop strong incentives to get them to come to the online platforms to get it. I've been recording multiple mini-lectures per week, keeping each video under 10 minutes. I set up discussion boards and am participating in them and grading them. I also have developed a whole new set of short open-book online quizzes to replace attendance and class participation components. My students are supposed to do presentations in class and I have been working out individual deals to accommodate all the ways they are able and unable to do this.

We have been at it a week. I spent the morning reviewing everything to see who's made it and who hasn't and emailing the ones who seem to be having problems with the transition. I am now getting email responses trickling back and will spend the next while here figuring out what of their problems I can accommodate and what I can fix for them. I am trying really really hard to make sure no one is left behind, but my anxiety about some of these kids is through the roof. Some are in bad circumstances and all I can do is be a shoulder. It suuuuuuuuucks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back