how long did it take you to get you kip with grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have had my grips for like 2 months and i have only made 4 kips! I will take any ideas or comments on how to make my kip with grips?:eek:

The timing with the grips are different from when you are doing them bare handed :p
I found out that you have to wait a bit longer when you shift with your grips on, same with giants.

Hope that helps!

If you learned your kip being loose, as well, you may have some trouble.

Make sure you finish your extension and are patient (as stated above). Without grips, especially dowells, you can rush it and still make it.

i had a problem with getting kips with grips too. maybe its a re-griping problem...thats what it was with me.
if you had only just learnt your kip...it might be a bit harder. and as ryantroop said, if you learnt it loose.

good luck!

Interesting. I found it pretty easy to do kips with grips. My sister was ever so close to her kip but couldn't quite get it, with or without grips - before she quit. Now she's back in the gym, same thing with the kips without grips, but when she tried them with grips she suddenly made both glide and long kip.... seems like they helped, because they kind of make you stop at the end of your forward glide, to give you just a little extra time to get up your legs - as with her, it was definitely a strength issue. She is pretty tall, (like, really tall:D) and has taken a while to get back into shape.

and i thought it was just me who had this problem!
I can do kips pretty consistently without grips, but when i put my grips on it seems to be 10 times harder and they are very inconsistent. I have no advice because i dont do gymnastics over the summer so i still have not fixed this problem, but thanks everyone else for the advice!

I voted first try, but that isn't quite true. It took me about 4 or 5 tries before I got it. Don't worry about not making a ton of kips, though. Everyone takes a different amount of time to get used to grips.:)

when i first got grips i hated them!! i wudnt use them and my coach made me use them when i got to prep-op. i used them a little in level 6 but i wudnt compete with them. but i was getting beter scores without grips than with grips. i cudnt do my kip with my grips on until i was in prep-op. i still really dont care for grips. although if i tried doing sumthing without grips now. i wudnt b able to do anything. it took me a long time to get my kip with grips.

oh thank you all so much for your great hints on kips with or with out grips and all the tips on grips alone thanx for all the tips

All our gymnasts have grips straight away, regardless of their level, so they learn it with grips right from the beginning - A couple of coaches allow their gymnasts to 'have a go' without grips and they get their kip straight away, but then it is a nightmare getting them to put their grips back on!

I've been teaching my girls kips since January - one got hers last month, the other one is really close and just needs to get the grip shift on her own now!

All our gymnasts have grips straight away, regardless of their level, so they learn it with grips right from the beginning - A couple of coaches allow their gymnasts to 'have a go' without grips and they get their kip straight away, but then it is a nightmare getting them to put their grips back on!

I've been teaching my girls kips since January - one got hers last month, the other one is really close and just needs to get the grip shift on her own now!

Yeah i went to one gym got my without grips then i went to a different gym then right away i had to get grips so it's been a hard ajustment

i already had my kip when i got grips so it was pretty easy...giants were another story...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back