MAG How long do grips typically last?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

rosiekat

Proud Parent
I know it depends on the kid, level, hours, etc. (And I tried to search before annoying you all with another grips question from me!)

I'm just trying to figure out how far in advance I need to plan to have a backup pair for DS. He just got grips about a month ago (for anyone who hasn't read my 10,000 threads on them), and they are the Reisport ones (the basic ones, not Hyperprotec or whatever it's called). He's 8, training L6, typically 12 hours/week, does a ton of high bar and not so much rings. (He obviously trains both, but when there's free time, he gravitates to high bar.) He's about 70 pounds and is a very energetic kid on bars. (He was able to do imperfect giants at L5 if that helps you understand his mass/energy/momentum.) It looks like his high bar grips might already be stretching a bit at the fingers, rings ones still look the same. I'd just go ahead and get another set to be safe, but I'd rather not have them and have him outgrow them before he needs them. Any advice from those of you who have been there and done that is appreciated!

So, at that level, typically, he will outgrow them before they wear out. That being said, D wore his first pair for about a year then the finger hole ripped. He did not have backups but new ones came in quickly.

At about level 7 we started having back ups. Sometimes he did outgrow them before he used them, but I think only once, and honestly I think it was rings. I would honestly wait a bit or ask your coach.

Now...D is L10, 135lbs, and goes thru about a pair every 6-8 months on HB, and about 1 time a year+ on rings.

I do not know about typical but here is our experience so far...
Younger son who is 11 and weighs about a hundred pounds is getting new grips for the first time...he first got grips 2 years ago when he started training level 6. So, 2 years.
Older DS can't remember...at least 18 months to two years? He is light for his age but still pushing 100 lbs and a Level 8.

Mind you I never see their grips close up, they may be in horrid shape, I go by what the boys and coach say. I had to insist they bring their wristies home for washing after a year or more!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back