Parents How long have you been here?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
And how much has changed since you first began posting to CB? I came across one of my first posts and remember how confused I was about the whole gym world. Not that I'm an expert now, but it feels like a long time since I first sought out advice about asking the coaches if it was possible for my DD to move from Xcel to JO.

I joined Oct 24, 2009. OG was 8 years old and a 2nd year (old) Level 4. YG was almost 5 and in Rec gymnastics.
OG is almost 17 and YG is almost 14.
OG has "retired" 3 times (first time was just a few months ... then 2 years ... and most recently another 2 years). She is hoping for a 3rd comeback this season (her senior year).
YG has been forced to retire 2 times, but only missed one month and then 1 full season from forced retirement.

I know so much more (especially about Xcel and Lower Level JO Optionals).

joined and started posting 10 years ago, when d made it to team, but I had lurked for at least a year before (maybe 2). Honestly, I don't remember what questions I had back then. I really should search them. Would be fun to reread.

I joined 5 years ago this month. My dd was 6 years old and had just started level 2. I had absolutely no idea what we were doing. :) Now she is 11 and will be a level 8 this season.

My first post was January 2015 -- and a lot has changed since then. My early posts were about Xcel versus JO -- and the crazy situation that occurred at our first gym, when my DD was offered a JO3 spot only to have it rescinded several weeks later and placed in Xcel Bronze instead. About a year later I solicited advice regarding a gym change. I've learned a lot about gymnastics along the way, and have definitely appreciated the input, support and opinions shared here!

Joined in 2011, when D was a L6. Now he is a 17 yo L10!! So much has changed :) Cannot remember what questions I had. I am lucky to remember what I did yesterday!!! But I have been so grateful for this board over the years through injuries, team closures, etc.

Dd was just starting out, so 2010/2011 ish. She’s 14 now :oops:

Met some fantastic people and learned so much. Dd’s gymnastics didn’t last that long, only a few years, as she made GB squad in a different sport and switched.

Hate the politics of elite sport. Hate the way children are used and often abused for adults goals. This place has helped me see what is and isn’t acceptable.

I joined in 2013. I knew I had found My People when I found threads about mental blocks and whether to wear underwear with leos!

At the time my DD was in her first year of Xcel Silver and she lost her cartwheel on beam for much of the season. At the end of her Xcel season she was offered a spot on the JO team and I seriously didn't know how a kid who lost the cartwheel would ever progress in this sport! Little did I know then that her journey would take her to L9, the whole time managing fears. I love this group.

I joined in April 2010 (looked it up on my account settings -- I only knew it was a long time). My daughter graduated last year after spending 4 years at level 9 and battling a few injuries. This site has been an amazing place to learn and share about this crazy sport. The mental and physical aspects of the sport are difficult to appreciate if you're not living it.

Funny thing is that many of the early questions I had seem the same today.

Joined in 2011. My daughter just finished Level 5 and was 9 years old. I joined primarily to get info on TOPS since the coach wanted to train her and she made national testing and I knew nothing! She just turned 18 and was 5 years in Level 10 and going to be in a D1 team.

I clearly was without a doubt a crazy gym mom. So I know a thing or two about crazy too invested starry eyed gym moms and I’ve learned I should have laid off a bit.

Nothing much has changed since I joined. You always read over invested starry eyed newbies. I know I was. CB has helped me gain perspective, provided information on skills and helped navigate through the complexities of the sport. But I will have to say, I am most thankful for the handful of members for their generosity, insight, suggestions, compassion and continued support. Some have gone over and beyond.

Long enough to know better, but not long enough to care how long I have been on here.....lol!
But apparently long enough that I had to look. I joined in early 2015. I was one of those parents whose kid sucked in compulsories and was just trying to get to optionals where there were options for her. Thus I was not starry eyed and picturing Olympic medals (still am not). I was picturing her finally making a damn mill circle (never happened) or a bar routine without drama (also never happened). Her gym path is rather the stuff of humorous lore, and we talk about "what a long strange path it's been," (to quote the grateful dead) even though she still has many years to go, if all goes her way. I have been lucky to get a ton of info here, but most importantly I have met some very special people who have helped my child more than I ever would have thought possible. And for that, I am entirely grateful and will always bow down to the bucket. Long may it live!
:)

I think it will be 3 years in October. I joined when I was trying to figure out the difference between Xcel and JO because my daughter was needing to choose where she started. She came in as an "old" gymnast at 10 1/2. She competed a season of Level 3, came back from a challenging (chronic) health situation, competed Level 4 (starting with only 2 events but ending with 4), and is about to test out of 5 in order to hopefully compete Level 6 which will be meeting a huge goal for her! I knew NOTHING when I joined and I am so thankful for chalkbucket. It has saved me from at least expressing a fair amount of obsessive craziness! I know I would have handled some of her issues very poorly if I hadn't been on here! Thankful for all of the collective wisdom and experience!

5 years. My daughter had only been doing gymnastics 6 months at that point and was in the middle of her first competition season as an Xcel Bronze so I was definitely a noob.

Now she’s getting ready to compete level 10 so we’ve been through a lot since then and this site has been huge in helping me navigate!

Long enough to know better, but not long enough to care how long I have been on here.....lol!
But apparently long enough that I had to look. I joined in early 2015. I was one of those parents whose kid sucked in compulsories and was just trying to get to optionals where there were options for her. Thus I was not starry eyed and picturing Olympic medals (still am not). I was picturing her finally making a damn mill circle (never happened) or a bar routine without drama (also never happened). Her gym path is rather the stuff of humorous lore, and we talk about "what a long strange path it's been," (to quote the grateful dead) even though she still has many years to go, if all goes her way. I have been lucky to get a ton of info here, but most importantly I have met some very special people who have helped my child more than I ever would have thought possible. And for that, I am entirely grateful and will always bow down to the bucket. Long may it live!
:)
Ha! Never thought I’d see the Dead mentioned on chalkbucket.

Bog suggested I come here at the beginning after the old Gym Spot forum shut down. At the time, my niece was in gymnastics and I was teaching parenting classes.

It looks I have been a member for 3 years, but I lurked for a year before joining.

I remember being so excited when I found this site during some sort of Google search.

My DD has been invited to pre-team I was trying to figure what the hell it all meant.

Finding this site has helped me not be a CGM. I think it is prudent to know what you are getting into, know what’s normal, etc — so I like to do my research— and I am glad I did.

I have learned so much like not letting kids practice at home, how to act toward a gymnast having fears (and how to expect coaches to act), etc.

I now try to share my knowledge and experience with others — since I still remember what the newness was like.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back