How long is the average gymnastics meet session?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

agymmom

I'm just wondering how ours compares. At my dd's next meet it will be 4 hours from the time she walks in until the end of awards. It's a traditional format and I always feel like she's mentally done before her last event, if not earlier. Is this a normal session length?

Yeah, I usually assume a meet will last 4 hours. Sometimes you get to be pleasantly surprised and it's shorter. I have been at a meet for as long as 7 hours, but that was a really poorly run one where the preceding sessions ran long so DD's meet started about 2 hours late and then lasted 5 hours. Glad we never went back to that one!

Her meet yesterday was 4 hours from warmup to awards. It seemed longer though because it was so chaotic. I think they did a good job of keeping it going on schedule and keeping everything straight. It definitely had the potential to go terribly wrong. Just too many people in too small of a space. The space was beautiful though.

I definitely felt that by the end she had lost her focus. She said she was fine, but I could see the fatigue written all over her face and it showed in her routines. The last meet we were at, we were in an out in 3 hours. It was awesome! I wish they were all that painless. I'm pretty sure that this weeks meet is more of the norm though.

4 hours is typical. It seems like a lot, but it's shorter than most of our practices! The difference is, of course, you don't have a lot of time to warm up each event at a meet, and sometimes you need a longer warm-up if you're tired. And obviously you want to be at 100% at meets. I think my first two events are never as good as my last two, just because I get so nervous. After the first couple I'm too tired to be nervous! However, I do often get tired by the end. And awards can drag on and on depending on how many groups and teams are there.

The well run ones around here can be about 3 hours....a few weeks ago we had an 8am check in and we were in the car on the way home at 11!

I think I have read on our State's website that there is a limit to the # of gymnasts per session (I could be dreaming that, but I do think I read it!)

It seems that most meets have about 60-70 girls. So I guess if you figure 1 1/2 min per floor routine (Level 7) with a minute in between...2 1/2 minx70 gymnasts is (hmmm, mental math here...) 175 minutes?! So, I guess that is about 3 hours. Then, awards.

OK, maybe it is 4 hours!

But I did like that last meet.....and the fact that it was a mere 25 minutes from my house, well, geez, I actually had a day ahead of me!!

fellowsmom - yes, we've had a couple of meets that were 3 hours at level 3 and it was so much better. My dd on practices for 2 hours, so she's not used to having to focus for 4.

If 4 hours is universal, I guess I better just get used to to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back