Parents How long to keep a child off gym after sickness?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My youngest dd was sick in the early hours of the morning, she has caught a bug from me :( Dd is the type of child where nothing much knocks them down. Dd doesn't have practice today and if she did she wouldn't have been going in even if she isn't sick anymore as I believe that she needs to eat properly again before doing any physical activity. If she isn't sick any more and she eats properly again tomorrow will it be safe for her to go to practice tomorrow evening? I don't want to pass the bug on anyone else.

I use the 24 hr. rule, same as I do for school. If she's not thrown up in 24 hrs and feeling like herself, then I'd let her go. The only time I waited a bit longer is when DD had a respiratory illness with a 5 day high fever. Even when the fever went away, she still felt pretty tired, so I gave her an extra day to rest up. Hope your daughter feels better soon!

Thanks, dd is drinking ok but not eating yet. Dd has to be off school for 48 hours (school rules) so she will be climbing the walls tomorrow, as for gym I will see how she is and how she is eating before I decide if I let her go.

A stomach virus can remain on the person for 3 days from what I have read. If your school has a 48 hour rule I would follow that for gym too. Especially since in gym they are flipping, balancing, even hitting their stomachs on the bar for some skills. That would probably make me queasy on a good day, and especially recovering from a stomach bug.

I use a combo of the 24 hour rule and good common sense. so if it has been24 hours with not vomiting, but still not really eating well, I might give it a little extra time. But if it was 24 hours and she is eating drinking and hanging upside down at home, I send her. :)

Send her in 24 hours if she's better. Don't forget to communicate to the coaches what has happened. That way they can be sure to keep an extra eye on her.

48 hours since the last bout of sickness. I know it can be irritating, especially if they are only sick once, but its just not fair to pass the germs around

Dd is already feeling much better, is eating and drinking and I have already had to tell her off for doing a headstand on the couch when she should be resting, these children think they are indestructible lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back