WAG How long to learn routines?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kelly99

Proud Parent
My DD is a first year Xcel bronze gymnast. Their first meet is the first weekend in January and they have not started learning their floor routine. They haven't even heard the music yet. They have been piecing together bars and beam skills but are not putting it all together yet for competition. Just wondering if this is "normal" and if 2 months is considered enought time, especially with the holidays approaching. We've had some coach turnover/changes already since the summer.

Like I said, this is her first year so this newbie appreciates the feedback!

If all the Bronze gymnasts are doing the same basic routine (with or without alternative acro and dance skills), it shouldn't take too long to learn a floor routine (or bars or beam).
Once they have all the skills, it is just a matter of putting them together in an order that flows with the music. It should take less than 3 weeks to have it memorized.

Out Level 3 gymnasts worked on skills for a while. Only these last 3 weeks have they done the entire floor routine with the music (the version without the words telling them what to do). They will be competing in 7.5 hours, lol.

Bronze routines are pretty short, so yeah, if they're all doing the same routine (which is pretty common for bronze) it will probably be pretty basic and they're working on all the skills in it. I would say it's probably fine. It will probably only take about a week to learn then the rest of the time would be practicing the routine. Clean skills are more important.

It shouldn't take long at all. Bronze routines are pretty simple and usually the dance movements in them are very basic. I've had some 6-7 year old Bronze kids and they were all able to pick up the routine relatively quickly. It took a while to clean it up and really perfect it, but they had it well enough to compete in a few weeks.

My 7 year old is a first year bronze, never before competed at all. Her group learned their routine a few weeks to a month ago, bit by bit. She can now do the floor and beam routines mostly on her own. Others here are right- the routines are pretty basic so yours will hopefully have time to get it down well before season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back