How Long Would It Take Me To Become Elite?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In 2008, I competed level 4 in spring. Now I'm a level 6/7 and I'm going to compete 7 in spring. I can usually make my back handspring on high beam, I can do a front tuck off of beam for a dismount. I am learning giants on the real bar and a clear hip handstand. I can do a kip cast handstand into anything I want on bars. I can do a half on for vault. On floor I can do a round off back handspring back layout, a switch leap, and a front handspring front layout. I can do a full on tumbletrack and I can connect various things. I really want to go to the Olympics and I know I can. My gym currently has three level 9's and a level 10 and many level 4-8's. How long will it take me to be elite?

-GCG

Are you ready to take on a full-time job? Most Olympic gymnasts train around 40 hours a week to reach the highest level of the sport. In the end, though, many would say it was all worth it. Most are homeschooled and it is very very expensive.

Though it’s a very rigorous process, and of course the odds are long, it’s still worth trying. Every gymnast who makes the team dreamed of becoming an Olympian long before her dream became a reality – and even if you never come close, you can still enjoy all the benifits of gymnastics.

In order to be considered, all candidates must be United States citizens and must have qualified to the elite level. After a gymnast has reached level 10 she can attempt to qualify to elite (Olympic-level) competition.

Hi GymCatGirl. It sounds like you are very talented and very ambitious. You have quite a big goal, it my or may not be achievable but it is excellent to have a goal like that to drive you. As long as you don't allow it to be your only goal. The olympics is a wonderful achievement but its important to enjoy every achievement along the way. For now the olympics and elite will be at the back of your mind, but its is better to focus on a more immediate goal like having a great level 7 season and making level 8. When you have a big goal it is always easier to achieve if you break it down and focus on one step at a time.

Your age could be an issue, it is almost unheard of for a child to start gymnastics at age 11 or 12 and make it to elite. Most elite gymnasts are at least level 10 by ages 10-12 if not already competing elite in the hopes division. You do sound talented as you have progressed from level 4 to level 7 in one season. But there are big steps from level 7-elite.

It doesn't sound like your gym will be the one to get you there either. If the gym is mainly made up of level 4-8's with only 1 level 10 it is not a good sign that this gym will even be willing to produce elites. Many gyms don't even offer elite, they just go to level 10. This is because it takes a lot of coaching expertise to train an elite and it is very expensive, as no family can afford to pay what it would cost for the training hours and individual attention required. So its best to find out if your gym even offers elite if that is your goal. If it doesn't you will need to find another gym.

Being the only elite or even high level gymnast in a gym is not a good way to train, you need team mates to push you. If you do find a gym with a good number of elites, check if they will even consider you. Most won't take a 12 year old on an elite track program if they are only level 7 or 8.

Also be aware of what is required of you to go elite. Elite gymnasts generally train for about 7 hours a day (3-4 hours in the morning and 3-4 hours in the afternoon). 6 days a week. You will spend your whole life in the gym, and when you are not there it will be resting for the next training session. You would not be able to attend a regular school. Most elite's home school, or attend a special school for elite athletes. Most have to move away from home or have their whole families move to find a gym to offer the right training.

The costs will be huge as well. Training will be very expensive. I assume at level 7 you are training somewhere between 18-22 hours a week, which is about normal for level 7. You will need to double this, which means double the cost. Traveling all around the country to compete. Is this something your parents can afford? Is it something they are willing to afford?

Very much so! I go anywhere from 18 to 24 hours a week and sometimes I go up to 6 hours in one day. I've wanted to go to the Olympics since I was three years old and I've never loved anything BUT gymnastics! I love to learn and I'm not afraid to do anything. Gymnastics is, and most likely will stay as, my life.

-GCG

Sorry had to ban GymCatGirl as she is underage. Thanks for all of your great input. Hope she'll come back in a year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back