Parents How long would you wait?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastmomma2010

Proud Parent
So I posted about DDs gym closing and how her, her teammates and coach were supposed to be transferring to a new gym that was opening in the area. July 8th was their last day. And they still aren't in the new gym. We were originally told middle of July. Now we keep getting told next week, each week. The owner of the new gym was telling us for a month that he is just waiting on his business permit from the city. Than today he tells us that he applied for the wrong city and has to apply for the correct city now. I don't know anything about owning my own business, but it seems weird to me that it took him a month to realize he was applying in the wrong city. We parents have also been offering to help set up and he keeps saying he'll let us know. I know covid will likely slow things down. So I'm trying to keep that in mind. DD has started asking to just go somewhere else. I'm sure the 2 months of being out due to covid has to do with her not wanting to wait anymore. Lol. But given the current circumstances, how long would you wait before deciding to go somewhere else?

The "wrong city" would sort of make sense if it is in a big metropolis area.
Example: Columbus, Ohio ... Columbus isn't all Columbus - it is Worthington, Westerville, Upper Arlington, etc. etc. AND there is a college in Westerville that used to be in Worthington (but the college didn't move).

Ok the city that it should actually be in is a big city. The city is in the address though. But I get what y'all mean. I've lived somewhere were my mail would come to me in 2 different cities. Lol

I do have a couple of gyms on my list to try. I'm just trying to decide how long I should give it before I start reaching out to the other gyms. I think the lack of communication is what makes me uneasy. We just normally get one message a week along the lines of "o waiting on one more thing, should be next week" I know lack of communication is a common problem in this sport though. I really like the guy. So does my daughter. His experience in the sport goes really far back. So I would like to stick with him. But she's literally bouncing off the walls. Lol

The "wrong city" would sort of make sense if it is in a big metropolis area.
Example: Columbus, Ohio ... Columbus isn't all Columbus - it is Worthington, Westerville, Upper Arlington, etc. etc. AND there is a college in Westerville that used to be in Worthington (but the college didn't move).
Columbus-but-also-Worthington native here. Thanks for the off-topic laugh. You’re making me homesick!

As a gym owner I can tell you this is not unusual and not a bad sign. There are so many rules and regulations that need to be followed, so many boxes to check and there is no clear list anywhere of exactly what those rules and regulations and boxes are. You might be sorting one thing out and then find out by accident that you have to do something else. Especially at this time, when there are so many new rules and regs that we’re not around before, due to COVID.

As gym owners we will often work as best we can to make things happen as fast as we can. But relying on banks, lawyers, equipment suppliers, shipping services etc is where the unpredictability can come in.

It would depend a lot on how much we liked the coaches. But I do also need realistic communication and wouldn't appreciate being strung along with promises of "next week" over and over.

These are unique times. So I would extend some grace. And I am also more concerned about my kid. There is no harm in looking elsewhere and setting your own personal timeline. I am of having a fan of Plan A, B, C, D etc....

Could you find a gym to train at in the interim? Not sure how that would work if there is an upcoming meet season or anything you’d need to commit to or not.

Reactions: cmg
EVERYTHING is taking longer right now. I bet the wrong city took THAT long to respond to the original request, so the owners didn't realize what happened until it was kicked back to them! Give them some grace due to these crazy times.

I appreciate the responses :) DDs coach, that she REALLY likes will be going there as well as all her teammates are planning to switch to this gym. As well as I mentioned we both like the new owner. So I don't really want to go somewhere else. Also he is setting up some team conditioning for them to meet up at a track and do together. So DD is a little more at ease now. She is 10 and I think she is just worried she'll never get to flip again and not thinking long term lol. But she fits so well with her team, I really think she'll regret it if she just goes somewhere else. I think I'll give it another month and see where things are. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back