Parents How many cancelled practices would you consider excessive?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
We have a situation occurring in our gym that is causing some problems. I don't really have a strong opinion one way or another but it's causing enough grief that I'd like to hear some outside opinions.

This season we've had a shortage of coaches. That situation will be over once some new hires begin working but for now, there aren't a lot of options as far as substituting. Our optionals have their practices cancelled or shortened quite often....at least three to five times each month. And of course, as team members, the girls don't have other classes they can use to make up the missed practices.

I know there are some parents who feel that at these levels, to appreciate any time off. But some parents feel like it is too much time off and that the coaches should either schedule time to make up missed practices or offer a reduction of tuition.

It has become a big enough deal that it played a part (not the whole reason, but a part) of one of our families leaving our gym.

So please chime in. Share your opinion, experiences, and stories!

That has happened a lot in our gym lately as well. We didn't have enough coaches to go around so when the older girls had a meet then rest of the team had the time off. It was a bit irritating at first but there really was nothing anyone could do about it. Trying to get coaches where we live is difficult. We now have a new coach that can work with just about all of the levels but 8-10 so I don't expect to have the gym closed when our HC competes this summer or when meet season starts next year.

Very irritating for sure.

We have practices canceled for weather, meets, and other to times ie coaches kid graduating college (our 2 head coaches/owners are married).

Make ups are always offered.

If we were having days missed and times shortened that frequently I would be asking for some money back or a credit applied to my next billing cycle. We have a contract and that would be violating our contract.

I appreciate some time off, don't get me wrong! But that much does seem a bit excessive. However, offering a reduction in tuition for the missed time may put the gym in a financial issue where they are not able to hire new coaches this furthering the problem of canceled practices. If new hires are on the horizon, I'd wait it out.

I agree with GYMOM. We had that happen last summer, where we had NO coach. Practices had to accomodate when they could have coaches for the boys. It stunk. We didn't get a reduction in tuition because that would have perpetuated the issue. We just held on and made it through. And ended up with a coach for fall. Now practices are only cancelled if there is a meet that all are attending, otherwise, the AC runs practice. If a practice is cancelled and you can come another day, you are welcome to do so. Those who are already attending 6 days a week have no make up.

I do think that is excessive, but if they are trying to hire, I would try to wait it out.

To be clear, I'm not planning on leaving the gym. I'm merely looking for outside opinions. I know that the coaches have been hired and I understand the reasons behind not decreasing tuition.

Oh, I didn't think you were :) I just understand the frustration, having btdt. Ihope that it gets situated better soon!

To be clear, I'm not planning on leaving the gym. I'm merely looking for outside opinions. I know that the coaches have been hired and I understand the reasons behind not decreasing tuition.
Yeah, I figured you weren't planning on leaving. I meant I'd wait it out without stirring the pot if I were in that situation. Not that you were, but those other parents that you mentioned. It's simply a means to an end and it will get better soon.

I think that's excessive but if you know the issue is going to be corrected soon, I wouldn't say anything.

I would say that in my kids 5 years of competing, practices have only been cancelled less than 5 times - and that includes 2 different gyms and 3 different head coaches. I'm not counting the days off after travel meets that everyone was "given". Oh, and maybe 3 or 4 total "snow days". If school is cancelled then gym is, but that happens rarely.

There are another 15 or so times a year where the practices are run by junior coaches, or times are combined because so many kids are at meets, etc. But in general actually "cancelling" a practice rarely happens. This while we have really struggled to have enough coaches. Kids did have to split into 3 groups for practices during summer, which allowed fewer coaches to meet the needs. There are also some days where the junior coaches are in charge and sometimes the upper level boys don't want to go those days. One day DD practiced with the boys team as the optional girls were all gone....(during her not competing phase).

Just seems like they should come up with a better game plan than cancelling practice - IMHO. It is a business, after all....and you pay for it.

I think it depends on the reason. If the coaches are at meets, I understand. If it's just that often for other random reasons I would probably be irritated.

I own a business that also teaches sports to children and I would both expect a tuition credit or make up classes as a customer or extend them as the business owner for that number of cancellations. If it was one or two cancellations, I would be understanding and hope that people would be understanding, but 3-5 several hour practices a month for several months? In that case, yes, something is owed. If it is an issue where offering a tuition credit at the time would create a financial hardship to the point where new coaches couldn't be hired, I would expect the owner to be forthcoming with that info and to offer make up classes at a point after coaches were hired and I would expect to do the same as a business owner.

I own a business that also teaches sports to children and I would both expect a tuition credit or make up classes as a customer or extend them as the business owner for that number of cancellations. If it was one or two cancellations, I would be understanding and hope that people would be understanding, but 3-5 several hour practices a month for several months? In that case, yes, something is owed. If it is an issue where offering a tuition credit at the time would create a financial hardship to the point where new coaches couldn't be hired, I would expect the owner to be forthcoming with that info and to offer make up classes at a point after coaches were hired and I would expect to do the same as a business owner.

This.

They are providing a service, yet failing to provide what folks are paying for.

How understanding would they be if you all couldn't pay the gymnastic bill? How many months would they let you short them?

Absolutely agree with momnipotent & Deleted member 18037 - our gym rarely cancels -apart from the rare coach is sick/ mutual agreements for the early morning session after a comp- and we are always offered either a makeup or a refund.

It is not good business practise to have dissatisfied customers because even if repaying missed lessons immediately is not possible , if they leave very quickly it will no longer be a business!!

Our tuition is based on 4 weeks, and a lot of months have days that I technically don't pay for. When the coaches are away at meets, some times all of practice is cancelled, or certain levels are. There are just too many kids for one coach to handle. But if it happened too frequently, those days would be gone....

If the cancellations were due to the coaches needing to be away at competitions (as happens in smaller gyms where the same people coach across several levels), and this was stipulated at the beginning of the training year, then I would be fine with it. It is assumed that these cancellations have already been figured into the tuition cost (5days/wk for 52 weeks minus how ever many vacations, holidays and competition days across levels). Now, if cancellations are occurring frequently due to not enough coaching staff on a regular basis, then I wouldn't be happy. Coaches get sick and have other obligations. We all get that. But the gym should have a plan in place to accommodate this - whether it be combining classes, calling in part time coaches for lower levels so the more experienced coaches can be with the higher level girls, or canceling but providing a time to make up those practices.

I don't mind time off, as long as I'm not still paying for it. I would be getting annoyed if that many practices were cancelled but my bill didn't reflect it.

I don't mind cancelled practices at our gym as we often have a lot of free Sunday classes, so it all evens out in the end.

3-5 times a month is way too much UNLESS it's for meets, but since I know you wouldn't complain about that I'm going to assume it's not. At the very least the coach could attempt to reschedule it, maybe she needs to go somewhere important Saturday morning, at least offer a Saturday evening practice. That still should be rare but that's what I'd do. Let's say you get called for jury duty or something.

During the fall mandatory meets, there was no practice on meet days but all of the girls would compete over the weekend, so that seemed reasonable. Other than than, I don't think we've had practice cancelled in all the time I've been at the gym -- 7 years now (4 rec, 3 team). Oh, there was the week that the entire area was evacuated due to fire but that doesn't count in my book. We are blessed with multiple coaches for the team and rec teachers / other coaches who can step in to cover illness and vacations.

However, if it were more than a VERY occasional occurrence I would definitely expect a tuition adjustment or makeups. And if the gym is that cash-poor, I'd be worried about what else they weren't paying or doing. As in, how up-to-date and comprehensive is their insurance? I'd consider it quite a concern if they can't offer a tuition credit!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back