Coaches How many coaches during warm-up/conditioning?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do all of you coaches attend the full warm-up and conditioning of your teams? Is it normal to decrease costs by limiting the amount of coaches that can attend this portion of practice to 1?

Depends on how many kids there are. Less than 12 or so, then yes. 1 coach is sufficient. More than that, and I would prefer to have another set of eyes making sure that everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing and doing it correctly.

Depends on how many kids there are. Less than 12 or so, then yes. 1 coach is sufficient. More than that, and I would prefer to have another set of eyes making sure that everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing and doing it correctly.

This is 22 kids...

I basically have a mix, sometimes a team coach and often just a conditioning coach (modified rec coach). Your primary team coaches should be focused on events and skills. One coach monitors warmups and the kids lead.

Yes, our entire team staff is present during warm-up/conditoning.

We do have different warm-ups. I am betting most others do also. (A different thread could address the different warm-ups, tactics and specifics during this activity.)

Generally: Warm-up work for the team staff is very important both for the event or core disipline, fundamentals, stretching as well as hearing/seeing/listening to gather tidbits about emotive modes/muscle sore or hurts and matching it to the days workout planner. I use the time to check-in with staff about any issues/set-up/special situations they might see or encounter in the workout.

Our conditoning is scheduled within the workout. At the team conditoning time, according to the schedule, all team groups split into groups and begin their tasks. The tasks are broken by level, or athlete (if on injury recovery). They go to stations/areas manned by staff. We rotate the staff thru all areas. The goals are clear for staff and athletes. Weekly staff meetings we have permanent agenda checks of warm-up and conditioning.

Our gym asks the athletes to present workout and event discipline. Our staff's efforts during warm-up and conditioning should set a model for the event discipline.

Best, SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back