How many hours a week?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a level 6 gymnast at a YMCA. I was wondering how long other level 6's practice. I practice 9.5 hours a week and I'm not sure if it's enough. I'm questioning this because I have heard of other level 6's practicing 15 hours a week. Also, I feel it's weird that level 4's only get 0.5 hours less than us. Please comment any thoughts. Thanks!

It's the Y. Do you have a dedicated gym? If so, is it intentionally low hours to keep it affordable and/or to offer an alternative to the high pressure private gyms?
At our Y's team, all levels go 6-8 hours a week. They break down the equipment after each gym day. It's a basketball court the rest of the time.

Personally, I think gym hours really just depends on where you go. I've gone to two separate (and completely different) gyms in the time I've been competing, and I can honestly say that even though I went to gym almost twice as much in my first gym as I did in my second gym (15-18 hours down to 9 a week, as a level 6), I really didn't find the drop in hours a problem so long as I was on task while I was at gym.
Right now, I'm in level 8 and I only go 12 hours a week. I'd love to go more, but between school, my back still recovering, and financial issues, I can't go more. But really, I've just found that it motivates me to get my work done in the time I have at gym, instead of just being there for 24 hours a week but really not learning anything.
Although many gyms practice more than you and I, I don't really find anything wrong with it. So long as you use your time well, I think you'll be fine :)

DD's gym practices fewer hours than the other area gyms. They have fewer hours at nearly every level. They're competitive, and win their share of meets. Not sure if hours is a useful measure on its own.

My daughter switched from a Y team to a private team this year as a level 6. She was doing 7 hours at the Y and went up to 14 at the private gym. Hours in the gym was only one of many reasons we switched though. If it had been a warm nurturing environment, with coaches who acted professionally, older girls who were great role-models, and equipment that was safe, she wouldn't have switched. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Though it does seem that YMCA's often practice less hours, we're at a Y and the 6's go 14.5 hours. 9.5 hours does seem a bit on the low side.

For us level 6's would do 16-23 hours a week, in most gyms in my area.

I did 16 hrs as a level six and I didn't find that it was enough, because I was recovering from an injury right before the competition season, and that changed the way I did a lot of skills. But any more hours would have probably been too much for my body. 10 hrs/week seems on the low side, but if you're smart with the way you practice, it should be fine. You probably won't get to uptrain much during the season though.

My DD is a level 6 and trains 12 hours a week. Her gym operates out of a school hall which is only available in the afternoons from 3:30pm, so all levels have to squeeze in from that time. They have to pack all equipment in and out every day which also takes time out of practise. But despite the few hours they seem to use their time well and do quite well in regional competitions etc

The 6's at our gym go 16.75 hours a week...train on Monday 5-8:30, Wednesday 4-8:30, Friday 4-8:00 and Saturday 8-12:45. this includes about 15 minutes of "game time" at the start of practice each day

As a former Y coach, it's all in what you do while you're at practice. The 2010 YMCA National Champion works out a grand total of 13.5 hours per week and she has since she was a Level 7. The level 8 team from the same gym won the level 8 team award at 2011 Y Nationals, and they have the same workout schedule as her. Another Y optional team I know with YMCA National Champions works out about 19 hours per week. As long as you have good coaches and you're using your time effectively, you can definitely get the most out of your 9.5 hours per week.

DD's gym practices fewer hours than the other area gyms. They have fewer hours at nearly every level. They're competitive, and win their share of meets. Not sure if hours is a useful measure on its own.

Ditto for my dd's gym. Our hours are less than many other gyms at most levels, and the L6, L7 and prep-ops practice 10.5 hrs per week.

I don't know exactly how many hours the optionals go, but it seems to be enough because the 9's and 10's both won state this past weekend.

My daughter just finished level 6 through the Y. She practices 7 hours a week. They work their butts off from the time they enter till the time they leave. There are also camps/clinics/open gym all the time. If she wanted she could add 2.5 more hours. She is placing at both Y meets and club meets. So something must be working :)

As long as you are working really hard and focusing for the time you are there and the coaches make good use of the time, then it is fine and may even be better in some cases than adding hours. At L5 my dd only practiced 7 hours a week. I told her that she has no control of how many hours she gets, but she has all at the control of how she uses that time. IMO, she made much better use of her time that year than she does now that she goes 18 hours.

At my DD's gym L5-L6 does 12hrs per week unless you get hand picked to work in a different tracked group. My DD just finished L5 and has changed from 12hrs per week to 17hrs per week. When summer hits I am quite sure it will be 21hrs per week for up training. I have a feeling they are trying to get her ready for L7??? They do tell me and I dont ask :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back