How many hours do you train?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bribri514

i saw this thread in the coaches and parents forum and figured it only made sense for the gymnasts to have a say too!

my gym has team practice from 3:30-7:30 M-F and 9-3 on Saturday (only for levels 9 and 10). however you don't have to go to all of it. level 4-6 only need to 3 weekday practices, 7 and 8 to 4 weekday practices and level 9 and 10 4 weekday practices and saturday practice or 5 weekday practices and the weekend off, whatever. it usually ends up being around 20 hours. since we're through the rec district in the town where our gym is and in an area where gymnastics is really small, the coaches are really accommodating about practices. we're kind of known as the rural mountain rec gym team compared to the super competitive private clubs along the front range (where denver, co springs, etc. are)

last week the gym team got stuck waiting for team vail freestyle (the super awesome local freestyle skiing team) to finish training on the tramps and floor so we could practice! lol, i guess that's a 'you know you live in the mountains when..."

personally i'm a level 10 who's returning to competition after a 2 year break, so i try to make every session i can, and it's about 25 hours a week. back when i was on the tops national team when i was 9 i didn't practice more than 16 hours a week (my mom wouldn't drive me) and never did more than 20 hours a week when i started level 10 in middle school and qualified for nationals when i was 13 to put everything in perspective... i'm putting in more hours than anyone right now 1) because i'm usually driving myself to practice lol and 2) i want to be ready to compete when season starts january 8th!!!

i do my homework when i come home at night (around 8 or 9) and am usually in bed by 11. it sucks that my gym is almost an hour away when the weather is good, it's such a long drive! i also do work in the morning b/c my mom is a teacher and our fam has 1 car so me and my sis have to go in early with her. i also have a learning lab class during the day that's like a study hall. it's been really helpful since i've been working on college apps and scholarships.

i still have time to hang out with my friends on the weekend, spend time with my fam (usually on sundays) and go to my bf's hockey games :) i'd say i'm a pretty social person!

so what about you guys? what are your gyms schedules? how much do you train?

M: OFF. (I do dance on Mondays, so I just come on Tuesday to make it up.)
T: 4:15-7:15.
W: 5-8
T: OFF
F: 4-7
S: 9-1
S: OFF

I really don't have a bedtime, being homeschooled and all, but I like to be fast asleep by 11:30-ish.

I don't have a set schedule; I just go in and work out whenver I have the time and motivation. I'd say when I'm healthy I probably average around 15-20 hours a week and when I'm injured it's probably around to 10-12.

However, this doesn't count flex and conditioning I do with my students; whenever I have my kids condition or stretch, I almost always condition or stretch along with them.

Also keep in mind I only do 3 events.

I am a level 10, so I do about 25-30 hours per week. Depending on the night/day I have 4-6 hours of gymnastics. I just got a new schedule for a couple extra hours so here goes.
Monday 3:30-8:30
Tuesay 4:00-8:00
Wednesday 3:30-8:30
Thursay 4:00-8:00
Friday 3:30-8:30
Saturday 11:00-5:00
And yes I know my schedule is crazy. Some nights I come a little late or leave a little early due to homework though. Even though my parents want me to follow my dream they believe school comes first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I usually practice M-F from 3:50-6:20 or sometimes a little later. Then on Saturday (Until comp starts in December) from 8:30-11:30. This week though we got stuck with monday & tuesday as 8:30 to 11:30. Sooo I think this week it'll be 16.5, but usually it's right around 15. We might have to do a Sunday afternoon this weekend too if we don't finish our routines. That would be lame. School isn't an issue since I'm a senior, I just took my ACT & got the score I needed, I hold a between a 3.5 & 4.0 GPA and I've already met most graduation requirements. It's just a fun year.

I'm curious about the upper (L7 and up) training time.

How much time (percentage wise) is spent with skills development vs. physical conditioning? Im not trying to analyse anything, just getting a better understanding of how things work in general.

I also want to add that I think you guys are truely amazing! It's one thing for a parent to "manage" your time, but it's quite another for you to balance school, gym, and your social lives as well as you do. I really don't think you quite understand how important that is. FEW people do time-management well... including us OLD-timers. ;)

I think that totally depends on the time of year.

In club, over the summer, we definitely spend more time conditioning, stretching, and doing basics. This is more of the time for building strength. I would guess that we do close to a 50-50 ratio of skill development and physical prep (especially if you include basics under that) during the first part of the summer and probably a 1/3 to 2/3 ratio towards the end of the summer.

However, during the season, there is more of an emphasis on skills and routines, and we just maintain flexibility and strength. I'd guess that we would spend about an hour stretching/conditioning to 3 hours of skills/routines.

There are also micro-cycles within that, when there is more of a focus on conditioning/flexibility than routines.

My gym hours

My schedule changes sometimes but here is my main schedule:-

Sunday:- I only go on Sundays if there is something I need to prepare for or just open gym. So if i do go it would be either at 8:00 am - 2:00 pm or 10:00 am - 3:30 pm.
Monday:- 4:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Tuesday:- 4:30 pm- 8:00 pm
Wednesday:- 3:30 pm- 7:00 pm
Thursday:- 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Friday:- 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Saturday:- 8:00 am - 1:30 pm

So yeah this is my basic schedule.

I'm curious about the upper (L7 and up) training time.

How much time (percentage wise) is spent with skills development vs. physical conditioning? Im not trying to analyse anything, just getting a better understanding of how things work in general.

I also want to add that I think you guys are truely amazing! It's one thing for a parent to "manage" your time, but it's quite another for you to balance school, gym, and your social lives as well as you do. I really don't think you quite understand how important that is. FEW people do time-management well... including us OLD-timers. ;)

We usually condition for at least the first 30 minutes on Fridays and Saturdays. Stamina work on those days are about 30 minutes, as well.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays are usually 45 minutes-1 hour of conditioning. On T/W Stamina work is usually about 1 hour.

Then for the rest of the 2/3 hours, we work routines, and if we finish our set number of routines before we switch to the next event, we get to work on Tumble Trak (For Vault.) or work fun optional stuff on the other events.

Thanks so much! :)

wow! You all do so many more hours than I do!!!:(
Anyway:
Mon: 4 hrs
Wed:4hrs
Fri: 4 hrs
Sat:(every 2nd week) 4 hrs
and sometimes a strenght session on Tues for 2 1/2 hrs

No where near enough!! :(

I have 3.5 hours on tuesdays (but we really only get about 2 - 2.5 hours of actual training) and 3.5 hours on saturday (but again we only get about 2.5 - 3 of those hours actually training).

I try and do as much strength and flex training at home as possible and sometimes on sundays I go to the gym where I coach and do a little bit of training for a couple of hours by myself.

Hey lanny..... I thought for state levels you could only do up to 10 hours for levels 4-8 and 12 hours for 9 and 10??? :confused:

I used to go monday, tuesday, thursday, and friday from 5 to 8pm for a while, but at my new gym (non- competative) I go one day a week from 6 to 8pm.

i go monday, tuesday, and thursday from 3:30-6:30. I can go on fridays to an optional 2 hr practice, and open gym on sat. if i want. (And if i can get a ride :()

well, i am a level 8. and i go to public school, but i don't get out earlier, so i get to gym a little late on the weekdays.
mon:4-8:30
tue-off
wed:4-8:30
thur:4-8:30
fri:eek:ff
sat:9-1
sun-off
and all of the other gymnasts go to public school too.

I am a level 9 and I go
Mon- 3:45-7:45
Tues- 3:45-7:15
Wed- 3:45-7:45
Thurs- 3:45-7:45
Fri- 3:45-7:45
Off on Sat and Sun

I am about a level 7/8 in the us but a p4 in canada so heres mine:
Monday: 3:30 - 7:30
Tuesday: 3:30 - 7:30
Wednesday: off
Thursday: 3:30 - 7:30
Friday: 3:30 - 7:30
Saturday: 12 - 1
Sunday: off

Total: 21 hours a week

Right now I am only at one hour a week but starting next week I will probably be upwards to 8 with any luck (lack of availability for adult classes), however, due to the fact that I will now be training for comp, the hours will have to go up:D I could totally live in the gym if given the choice though lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back