Parents How many L10 girls graduate from U.S. high schools every year?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

About how many L10 girls graduate from high school in the U.S. every year? I’m not aware of a way to look this up or estimate it.

Not total L10 girls in the U.S. That’s probably two to three times the number of L10s that graduate every year.

Thanks.

Hopefully all of them graduate?? Not sure I understand the question. There are 2 level 10s at my daughter's gym who are seniors. There are usually only a few seniors each year at our gym and they can range from level 8 to 10 and xcel.

Maybe I should have phrased the question something like “Of all the L10 girls in the U.S. about how many are in their senior year of high school?”

Our gym has more than five L10s and I know one is competing her fifth year as an L10 and is a HS senior graduating this year. Another is competing L10 for at least her fourth year this year but she is a junior. Another girl is competing her fifth year at least as an L10 but I don’t know where she is in high school.

What I’m trying to estimate is what percentage of L10 graduating HS seniors end up in NCAA1 gymnastics. We are years away from that and I know the odds are against it and it’s not the reason our kiddo does gymnastics; she simply loves it and it is good for her. But since it is a recurring topic among gymnastics families it would be interesting to know what the numbers look like.

I can share the numbers from our gym. Of our current level 10s,:

5th grade (1) *1st year level 10
6th grade (1) *1st year level 10
7th grade (1) *1st year level 10
8th grade (3) all multi-year 10s
9th grade (2) all multi-year 10s
10th grade (0)
11th grade (2)
12th grade (2)

We have no other seniors this year at any other levels

I don't think there is a stat for this but you could get a rough estimate by looking at the regional meets for a year and taking all of the senior F and maybe half of Senior E. Of course, not everyone makes it to regionals or get hurt so it will be a low estimate. Last stat I saw for all L10 gymnasts was around 2000. Divide by 4 or 5 (starting in 8th/9th) and you get 400-500.

Is there a reason for wanting to know? figuring out how many compared to those competing in college?

That 2,000 sounds about right. FWIIW I used USAG app the count the L10s from eight states State Meets, radioed by the US population, and came up with 1,503 L10s. So, 1.5k and 2k not terribly far off.

From your two posts I guess the average L 10 spends more than just two or three years at that level. Let’s call it four, among 1.5k to 2k. That makes 375 to 500 graduating every year. If 61 Div1 teams, average size 18, that’s about 275 new gymnasts every year.

So, roughly speaking half of graduating L10s nationwide get on a Div1 team, maybe a quarter nationwide get a Div1 scholarship. Does that sound about right?

Just saw your reply specifying college chances - so in terms of college, a good estimate to go by is looking at the regional meets for a given year. Sr E and F. Again, not everyone goes to regionals but it is a good estimate, especially for those capable of college gymnastics. Obviously you have to include the elites from both the US and other countries as well but that is not a significant number (under 25?) each year.

Way back when, when we first began thinking dd might be able to compete in college, I think I estimated about 50% when comparing regionals competitor numbers and spots on college teams (all divisions, scholarship and walk ons)

That 2,000 sounds about right. FWIIW I used USAG app the count the L10s from eight states State Meets, radioed by the US population, and came up with 1,503 L10s. So, 1.5k and 2k not terribly far off.

From your two posts I guess the average L 10 spends more than just two or three years at that level. Let’s call it four, among 1.5k to 2k. That makes 375 to 500 graduating every year. If 61 Div1 teams, average size 18, that’s about 275 new gymnasts every year.

So, roughly speaking half of graduating L10s nationwide get on a Div1 team, maybe a quarter nationwide get a Div1 scholarship. Does that sound about right?

There are also Elite gymnasts and Gymnasts from other countries shooting for D1 spots.

There are many more L10s then there are spots at D1 schools

There are a number of really good level 10s that don't get a gymnastics scholarship , for many different reasons.... some go Ivy; some want to go to a school that committed girls in the 5th grade so there's no $ left but they still want that school; some kids get injured when schools are looking and by the time they rehab, nothing is left; some are legacy kids who want to go to the same school as family but aren't good enough to be scholarshipped and go anyway ; some aren't good enough to be scholarshipped at their dream school but want to be "on the team" so they walk on.

Every once in a while you'll hear about the Senior who did well at JOs her senior year and they were walking on to a team (on their parents dime) and a school happens to have an open scholarship and offers it to the gymnast then...Faith Morrison from Univ of Washington (originally walking on to Ohio St), Addy Dejesus from Univ of Nebraska (originally walking onto Maryland) , and Jovanna East from Bowling Green (originally walking on to Oklahoma) are ones that come to mind ... not very common though...

Oh good point. The international students I guess are less than 10% of collegiate gymnasts and don’t qualify for scholarships being out of state and country.

How many graduating HS senior Elites are there every year? 50???

I could go look up Regionals for the eight regions and count the Seniors but I don’t don’t where they occurred in 2019 except for one region. Are those all listed in one spot somewhere?

Oh good point. The international students I guess are less than 10% of collegiate gymnasts and don’t qualify for scholarships being out of state and country.

How many graduating HS senior Elites are there every year? 50???

I could go look up Regionals for the eight regions and count the Seniors but I don’t don’t where they occurred in 2019 except for one region. Are those all listed in one spot somewhere?
International students are eligible for scholarships and I would say less than 25 seniors are still elites. Most petition back down to JO.

mymeetscores.com will have all the regional meet scores. They take place in April. Once you are on the site, you just have to select "all" for the states. It will list all the meets in the country (that they have uploaded) for the whole year by date (be sure you are in 2019) and then look for the word "Regional" in April. Once you are on the meet screen, click on L10 then age division and it will populate youngest to oldest group. All of Sr F would be HS seniors. I don't know how much of Sr E would be. The birthdate ranges change every year for the divisions and also cutoff dates (for when kids start kindergarten) are different per state. That's why I would just count roughly half.

ETA: actually, it occurred to me that the age groups would still be on the internet. Looks like most of Senior E would also be HS seniors and some of Sr Ds and even a few Cs depending on the state cutoff dates when they entered K. A little more complicated than in years past. To make it easy, I would just include Sr F and E

- https://www.r5regionals.com/wp-content/uploads/2019-Level-10-age-group-chart.pdf

After too much time :) digging into the different scores sites.....here are I think the number of Sr E and Sr F women competing at the 2019 Regionals.

Region. 2019 Regional location. Sr E, Sr F. Total
Reg 1. NV. 26, 20. 46
Reg 2. OR. 3,6. 9
Reg 3. OK. 15, 16. 31
Reg 4. IA. 14, 16. 30
Reg 5. MI. 27, 27. 55
Reg 6. MA. 22, 16. 38
Reg 7. VA. 18, 13. 31
Reg 8. GA. 14, 15. 29

Total both Sr E and Sr F = 269 in 2019.

Whether 269 is typical, lower than average, or higher than average is anybody’s guess.

After too much time :) digging into the different scores sites.....here are I think the number of Sr E and Sr F women competing at the 2019 Regionals.

Region. 2019 Regional location. Sr E, Sr F. Total
Reg 1. NV. 26, 20. 46
Reg 2. OR. 3,6. 9
Reg 3. OK. 15, 16. 31
Reg 4. IA. 14, 16. 30
Reg 5. MI. 27, 27. 55
Reg 6. MA. 22, 16. 38
Reg 7. VA. 18, 13. 31
Reg 8. GA. 14, 15. 29

Total both Sr E and Sr F = 269 in 2019.

Whether 269 is typical, lower than average, or higher than average is anybody’s guess.
Multiple states compete at regionals, did you only pull numbers from one state per region?

Multiple states compete at regionals, did you only pull numbers from one state per region?
I think the State names are where they regionals took place. I know R8 was in GA.

Yes, I would add at least 25% in for SrD. Also, you have to count a certain number for the inured gymnasts not at regionals. Also in Region 8, the qualifying score to regionals is a 35, not 34. I am not sure how many that affects, but thinking around 15-20.

FLM - yes I pulled only one state per region, for the Regionals events in 2019. I’m pretty sure I got them right but if anyone thinks the April 2019 Regionals competition was in a different state than I listed the let me know where and I’ll take another look.

Between those 259, some SrD women, the injured, the elites, the women not meeting the minimum, and the Elites who are graduating (and excluding any non-US high schoolers) then it seems like between 450 and 510 L10/Elite gymnasts graduated in 2019.

Thanks everybody for the input so far.

You’re we have actually asking 2 different things: 1) how many L10 are seniors and how many L10 are graduating this year and going to a D1 team.

We have 21 L10s; 4 seniors: 2 D1 scholarships, 1 DII or DIII, one not committed anyplace. We also have a L6 senior.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back