Parents How many L10 girls graduate from U.S. high schools every year?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I thought there was a website that tracked all the gymnasts by graduation year and if they were committed or not? Someone linked it here years ago but I'll have to dig a little to find it.

Hmm. The one I'm thinking of did list everyone and those were not committed just had a blank space next to their name. You could search by grad year and it went into 2026 at least. We had an 11 year old from our gym on the list and I remember wondering how she even got on their radar, being a level 8 at the time.

I found it... gymdivas.

I thought there was a website that tracked all the gymnasts by graduation year and if they were committed or not? Someone linked it here years ago but I'll have to dig a little to find it.
I forgot about that! gymdivas.us It doesn't have every gymnast. I have noted several left off the list for various years, but in terms of gymnasts likely able to make it through the recruiting process, this is a good list. The commitments are not up to date but would be a good reference for how many actual gymnasts there are.

I forgot about that! gymdivas.us It doesn't have every gymnast. I have noted several left off the list for various years, but in terms of gymnasts likely able to make it through the recruiting process, this is a good list. The commitments are not up to date but would be a good reference for how many actual gymnasts there are.
ok, I just plugged the list into an excel sheet to make it easier to count. There are over 900 girls for 2019 graduation, so the list must have more levels than just L10s.

ok, I just plugged the list into an excel sheet to make it easier to count. There are over 900 girls for 2019 graduation, so the list must have more levels than just L10s.
I looked at a few girls from our gym and one is no longer doing gymnastics (quit 3-4 years ago) and one is a level 9. So clearly this site is not very accurate

I glanced at the gymdivas list for my Region. About 120 gymnasts, about 80 listed with committed schools. Of the remaining 40 I would estimate about half were no longer doing gymnastics by senior year.

I think gymdivas start listing girls at Level 9 and it does not remove girls who quit gymnastics. So the number will be higher.

Keep in mind too that #s from states and regionals will not include injured L10 athletes who were unable to compete. I think it would be very hard to get a fix on that number, but I'd also guess it is not inconsiderable.

I think almost every year, my kids' gym has had a L10 graduate who has ended their gymnastics career after graduating. I also know of more than one who started doing gym in college but stopped after a year or less. So to answer the implicit question, no, graduating high school as a L10 does not guarantee moving on to NCAA college gymnastics.

That 2,000 sounds about right. FWIIW I used USAG app the count the L10s from eight states State Meets, radioed by the US population, and came up with 1,503 L10s. So, 1.5k and 2k not terribly far off.

From your two posts I guess the average L 10 spends more than just two or three years at that level. Let’s call it four, among 1.5k to 2k. That makes 375 to 500 graduating every year. If 61 Div1 teams, average size 18, that’s about 275 new gymnasts every year.

So, roughly speaking half of graduating L10s nationwide get on a Div1 team, maybe a quarter nationwide get a Div1 scholarship. Does that sound about right?

Not to get too techy here, but what you probably want is not the average # of years spent at L10 but the median. I am completely spitballing here but I would guess the median for graduating seniors is far closer to 2 than 5+.

There are currently only 60 D1 schools that have a gymnastics team. The Ivies obviously don’t offer any type athletic scholarship (though many get need based aid), so that takes the number of D1 schools that offer scholarships to 56. With only 12 allowable scholarships per year and assuming the colleges offer 4 scholarships to freshmen, the total scholarships available each year is 224.

In DII, gymnastics is an equivalency sport, so scholarships can be divided between as many players as a coach sees fit but I think the total maximum (for the entire team) scholarships allowed each year is 6.

Based on the rough estimate of college bound gymnasts, and the number of scholarships available, it may be slightly less than 50/50 chance of getting a scholarship.

This may be more helpful, it lists all commits by year, but includes some D-2 schools, it looks fairly accurate, even including gymnasts who entered school early like the Alabama gymnasts this year. I think Burgess and Blanco would really be seniors this year but graduated early and are competing.

This may be more helpful, it lists all commits by year, but includes some D-2 schools, it looks fairly accurate, even including gymnasts who entered school early like the Alabama gymnasts this year. I think Burgess and Blanco would really be seniors this year but graduated early and are competing.
This list contains all divisions (1,2,3). It is a good reference but doesn't give you an idea of how many L10s there are, just how many have committed. It is not up to date either. At least it wasn't before the season started, still showing gymnasts who had chosen not to pursue gym in college.

This list contains all divisions (1,2,3). It is a good reference but doesn't give you an idea of how many L10s there are, just how many have committed. It is not up to date either. At least it wasn't before the season started, still showing gymnasts who had chosen not to pursue gym in college.
I think it's pretty accurate through 2021

I think it's pretty accurate through 2021
It probably is pretty accurate for a general count of the number of athletes per team and more accurate for those who have signed an NLI, since those are usually announced. However, I have noticed walk-ons listed who had decided to go to another college (or simply left team) but were still on the list, a year later. On the opposite side, I knew of many commits who were not listed despite having publicly announced through social media. Also, the commits are only accurate up to the point that the gymnasts or school choose to announce.

I believe the OP was more interested in finding out statistics on how many L10s are graduating seniors not how many have committed. The latter is rather easily discernible than the former. I think the ultimate question is what are the chances of an Level 10 graduating senior at getting a scholarship.

Gym Divas list isn't accurate. They will add gymnasts that ask to be added (which is what we did, had to provide birthday, grad year and gym name) and I don't think they maintain other than adding commits or update paid profiles and websites (they sell the gym-style websites).

Not to get too techy here, but what you probably want is not the average # of years spent at L10 but the median. I am completely spitballing here but I would guess the median for graduating seniors is far closer to 2 than 5+.

Ok I see the distinction. And yes the value would probably be lower than the average. From what I can see of the L10s at our gym though the median would still be more than 3 and close to 4.

And going direct to the source I emailed USAG and a nice lady replied “There are currently 2,940 registered level 10 athletes with USA Gymnastics.”

Wow.

They don’t have direct data for grade level though.

Ok I see the distinction. And yes the value would probably be lower than the average. From what I can see of the L10s at our gym though the median would still be more than 3 and close to 4.

And going direct to the source I emailed USAG and a nice lady replied “There are currently 2,940 registered level 10 athletes with USA Gymnastics.”

Wow.

They don’t have direct data for grade level though.
Whoa! That's a huge jump from 2011 numbers of 1700

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back