Parents How Many Leotards is Enough or Too Much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
I am having a debate with my dh. I found a great leo at the gym for my older dd. I didn't get it, but was tempted. Then they put them on sale and I am more tempted. So we went through the leos we have. 3 we handed down to my younger dd. Older one has 5 that she will wear, 2 that are itchy and she rarely wears and 3 to grow into (bought used for cheap). She practices 4 days a week.

So does she have enough, not enough or too many? I think another would be reasonable, dh thinks she doesn't need anymore at all. I know people at our gym that has dozens upon dozens of leotards. So 5-7 seems like so few, but when she only practices 4 times a week it seems reasonable. What do you think?

Face in shock!!!! :eek: Are there ever too many leos?

Hee Hee! Just kidding. I have to admit, I am a little bit of junkie. They are just so cute, I can't help myself.

The Fellows has 6-7 that she wears regularly. She works out 3-4 times a week and hasn't grown much in the last couple of years. These are all spread out from xmas and birthdays and meets from as far back as two years ago.

I like to make sure she doesn't run out before I get to the wash as she won't wear them more than one day.

Hey, you could be buying ballet and tap and jazz shoes and tights and skirts and elaborate costumes right? Pretty leos are fun and fairly reasonable in the scheme of things if you can find them at a good sale price.

The trick is not buying new ones right before they grow out of them :)

I am too embarrassed to say how many my daughter has. I have no idea why I buy them, she certainly doesn't need anymore... and yet I just can't help but visit her favorite companies eagerly looking for new patterns every few months. And I don't even have an excuse like growing to buy them. She's been in the same size for over 2 years. I tell my husband I have to buy her new ones or I get sick of looking at the same old leos all the time... This is not a valid excuse for purchase I have been told.

I just have to face it, I am a leotardaholic... Someone stage an intervention... STAT!

The numbers your daughters have though, are quite reasonable... You, unlike me, should feel no guilt if you spot a hot deal and pick a new one up. :p

Must...stop...buying...leos...

Honestly, DD has way too many. She keeps them in her locker in the gym (goes straight to the gym from school) so I never see them all at once, but I wash about every 2 weeks, so 8 at a time, and I know she has enough to last her at least another week... Maybe more. The last couple... Well, two out of the last 3 at least, she bought with her own money.

Sigh. I think you are asking the wrong group of people!! I am a Leo buying junkie, too. My. Dd has worn the same size for all 3 years she's been in gym. (I initially bought them a little big thinking she'd grow into them quickly. She didn't) But she is also at gym 5 or 6 days a week and we find really good sales!! I think she has 20 that she will wear...and probably 10 more that are either too big or itchy or for some other reason she doesn't like them.

Gulp, at one point youngest had more than thirty. Hand me downs for bigger dd, and a whole pile from the gk outlet that were such a good deal. I think I still have a bag with twenty in that I really should sell, but they are so cute.

If she goes to gym 4 days a week she should have at least 8 leos. Tell hubby that she needs at least 2 weeks worth that she will wear, so you don't have to constantly do laundry.

Also have to cop to being a leotard "junkie". And now that I see these #s, I feel less guilty about buying a couple more (maybe today even!)

The problem now is having the emotional fortitude to get rid of a few old ones. Does anyone remember that video montage of "leos over the years" (or something like that), in which a gymnast had saved all of her leos (both competition and otherwise) and made an adorable little short film about the leotards and their significance to her competition years?

At DDs old gym, girls were rewarded for getting their kips by being allowed to go into the office leotard store and pick out a new, free leotard. DD wore it for a while and then I gave the "kip leotard" away to a younger gymnast. Once I saw this video I wanted it back! Sadly, it is long gone.

So save those special leotards!

"If she goes to gym 4 days a week she should have at least 8 leos. Tell hubby that she needs at least 2 weeks worth that she will wear, so you don't have to constantly do laundry."

Woo hoo!

My daughter has five short sleeved summer leotards and four long sleeved velour ones. She goes five times a week and obviously can't wear long sleeved velour ones in this heat so I guess I could buy five more summer ones without starting to feel guilty?!

Fab.

No such thing as too many leos! I find myself frequently going on ebay looking at leos! I justify it by the fact that I can usually find a current leo for about 1 third to half the price from what they sell for on the manufacturers website. This way I can buy twice or three times as many!! Makes perfect sense to me!! My husband says I will make him go broke saving him money! lol!

Y'all are too funny! She had more, but had basically outgrown 3 that I handed down to my younger dd. With 6 people in the family though I do laundry every single day, so I can't claim that we need 2 weeks worth. The leotard I want to get her (she hasn't even seen it!) will only be $25 or so with the sale (she likes the all one piece simple ones with a print because they aren't itchy). So it is very reasonably priced. No birthday or anything coming up, so that won't work either. She has no money at the moment either. Hmm, must think of something! That is, if she likes it when I show her tomorrow.

I'm with everyone else - there is no such thing as too many leos.

I can't even tell you how many my DD has between grandma getting them for gifts and us buying them at meets, or when they go on sale at gym, or just when I'm on line "just looking" LOL. If I had to guess I would say 25 - 30 leos she wears and I can't tell you how many are the "itchy or uncomoftable" ones. I know at old gym the boosters would collect all the outgrown or leos folks didn't want any more and re sell them for $5 to other gym members (rec class and team) This past season DD was willing to part with about 12 of them and still has a ton left.

Think of it like Shoes or purses for other girls - something you can never have too many of.

If she is older and hubby questions it start talking about what happens if she gets her Period and has an accident she will need more etc. that usually shuts up the guys ;-).

how about a Leo just because you love her and she has been working so hard on her skills or at school or what ever.

My DD is a leo horder and has a tough time handing over leos she likes but don't fit or she won't wear because they are itchy but she like them. She is also a Hoodie junkie - At every meet there is a sweatshirt, hoodie or t-shirt with the meet emblazed on it and yup she wants one from every meet at $45 each well its not easy to say yes.

Another leo junkie here too. If it's cute, on sale and she'll wear it (not itchy), how can you pass it up??

I have noticed that the team girls who practice during my daughter's class all seem to have certain leotards that belong to certain days of the week--in other words, each wears the same leotard every single Tuesday, etc. If any of these girls owns more than one leotard per practice day, I can just imagine the conversation as her mom goes through her drawer:

Mom: "Why don't you ever wear this one?"
Gymnast: "That one is itchy."
Mom: "What about this one?"
Gymnast: "The squiggly seam where the two fabrics meet bugs me."
Mom: "And this one?"
Gymnast: "It gives me a wedgie."
Mom: "How about this one? It is not itchy and has no extra seams and it fits perfectly."
Gymnast: "I don't know--I just like my purple one better ..."
Mom: "I am NEVER buying you any more leotards!"

Two days later
Mom: "I found you this really cute leotard on clearance sale today. Can you try it on?"

Wow! Now I don't feel so bad! I always felt guilty with my lazy T+1 rule (have one more leo than the number of times she practices per week so I can keep up with the laundry) - she has 5 now. I do find she tends to like to wear the old stretched out ones more than the newer/fancier ones. That price is great though - I'd get it.

At any given time, I'd venture to say that DD has at least 40 leo's. She works out 5 days/week, does a pretty good job of rotating leo's so that the majority get worn. There are 1-2 favorites that will be worn more often. We go through the drawer periodically and weed out outgrown ones (not many of these) or ones that she's just tired of looking at!

Y'all almost had me convinced until I received the info about choreography at $300-$500 for the new season. I think I might have to pass - OR sell the 2 itchy ones on Ebay to buy the new one. Hmm, that is a good idea I think.

Ok Mommyof1 Were you in my Daughters room last month I swear I just had that conversation with her and yes I did buy a new pink leo - it was on sale how could I pass it up LOL

I have noticed that the team girls who practice during my daughter's class all seem to have certain leotards that belong to certain days of the week--in other words, each wears the same leotard every single Tuesday, etc. If any of these girls owns more than one leotard per practice day, I can just imagine the conversation as her mom goes through her drawer:

Mom: "Why don't you ever wear this one?"
Gymnast: "That one is itchy."
Mom: "What about this one?"
Gymnast: "The squiggly seam where the two fabrics meet bugs me."
Mom: "And this one?"
Gymnast: "It gives me a wedgie."
Mom: "How about this one? It is not itchy and has no extra seams and it fits perfectly."
Gymnast: "I don't know--I just like my purple one better ..."
Mom: "I am NEVER buying you any more leotards!"

Two days later
Mom: "I found you this really cute leotard on clearance sale today. Can you try it on?"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back