Parents How many places for awards?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
Out of curiousity how many places do most meets give awards too both in the AA and in the four events. For example 1st to 6th place get medals. Do they usually go out the same amount of places for the AA and the events?

Ours does for both in the lower levels, but I "think" as the levels get higher, they start limiting medals to 1st - 3rd in the AA but not sure when.

Most meets that I have been to or my dd has competed in usually go out to 50%.

So, say there is 26 competitiors in the session (and age group) - there would be 13 places for each event.

& along with what flippersmom said below it can vary for many reasons, and guidelines. We have been to meets where they gave trophies or special snow globes for 1st place, or only gave medals. Some even all the same color LOL! & Some gold ,silver, or bronze for 1, 2nd, 3rd & bronze for the remaining. Many annual meets are known for their special touches, and most every one will give you an idea of how many placements on the invite.

Last edited:
We've been at all different meets. Some only give ribbons in events, medals 1-3 AA then ribbons. Most do medals. Some go 30% events, some 40% and some 50%. AA usually averages 50% with trophies for 1-3 AA. One meet does trophies for 50% AA, and one even did trophies for 75% AA, then medals for remaining. It's all up to the host gym, with some guidelines from USAG.

Most we have gone to go out 50% - every once in a while top 3 AA might get trophies.

I will say for meets for the lil boys, I try to find the ones that will always give them at least a participation medal so I don't have to deal with a 6yo tears. As for medal places, 50% is cool in compulsory be it AA or event.

Once they hit optionals, it doesn't really matter. Either your first or you're not and maybe top 5 for AA. Top 3 per event or 30%.

In the UK you get certificates for participation. Usually the top 3 AA get medals. 1st AA gets a trophy. Often that is it even if there are 60 girls in the competition. Sometimes the top 3 on each piece get a medal.
I wish they gave out alot more to encourage the kids abit more. I've never seen a medal for lower than 3rd place.

I can't believe that your comps can give so many places, no wonder the entries are so much higher in the USA than they are in Australia. Our comps generally give outt trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd AA and some may give medals for 4th-6th AA if it is a very big comp.

For apparatus medals are awarded for 1st-3rd and usually ribbons or medals for 4th-6th if the comp is big. There is usually between 40-100 girls in most division and only 3-6 places are ever awarded.

AAU requires places given for "50% plus 1" but I think the hosting gym decides whether to do ribbons or medals.

As others have posted we've been at all kinds of meets as far as awards go. A couple of meets only gave out ribbons---for events and AA. Weird colored ribbons too----pink, green, yellow etc. Been to some meets where it is about 50% of the age group---medals to all(1st-3rd being nicer) or medals to 1-3 and ribbons to the others. The bigger the meet, usually the nicer the awards. We haven't been to many meets where any trophies were given out. Our 1st meet this year always gives a small trophy to the gymnast in the session with the highest score on any event.

I agree it all depends on the meet and how many gymnasts attend. We have had some that only give awards for AA to 6th(medals or ribbons only), and nothing else. On the other end, we have one meet every year that is awesome for the kids. They set it up so that everyone gets at least a ribbon, even if they have to go out 18 places! It makes for a VERY LONG awards ceremony, though:rolleyes:! My dd gets a little bit frustrated, because at most meets if you place in the top 3 you get a trophy, but it never fails, when she places in the top 3, that meet is only doing medals or ribbons:rolleyes:! Not that a trophy is all that it's about, but they are alot more exciting than a medal or ribbon:)!

I agree it all depends on the meet and how many gymnasts attend. We have had some that only give awards for AA to 6th(medals or ribbons only), and nothing else. On the other end, we have one meet every year that is awesome for the kids. They set it up so that everyone gets at least a ribbon, even if they have to go out 18 places! It makes for a VERY LONG awards ceremony, though:rolleyes:! My dd gets a little bit frustrated, because at most meets if you place in the top 3 you get a trophy, but it never fails, when she places in the top 3, that meet is only doing medals or ribbons:rolleyes:! Not that a trophy is all that it's about, but they are alot more exciting than a medal or ribbon:)!

My DD is a little bit like that too. She was far more impressed with the tiny participation trophy at the state meet last spring than she was with her GOLD medal for 1st place AA! Silly girl! :p

It is usually the choice of the gym hosting how many to place out. I've seen the gambit too, but I'm a big believer in breaking age groups so there are only about 12 - 18 girls in each age group and then placing out 50%. Level 3 isn't a recognized USAG Championship level in our state, so our gym hosts a Dec Level 3 Championship in conjuction with USAG State Championship... it's tomorrow. We have five age groups, placing events with top 3 recieving medals and the places out to 50% receiving ribbons. Everyone will receive an AA medal and the top AA out of all age divisions will receive a "gift" (wasn't told what that was). The medals are dang cool, if I might say so... I designed the image and we had them plasma cut from steel and patina'd, so they are original! I'll post a picture.

My DD got a similar medal at our State Invitational (state fundraising meet), but the L3's didn't place out events at the meet so we felt they got jilted, since all the other levels got these cool medals and they just got a small standard medal and their achievement ribbons, and paid the same entry fee. We won by over 4pts and there wasn't even a team trophy! So the 3's get the cool medals this meet, and the L4-6 get the state sponsored regular old cheesy medals, unless the state board WOW's us with something new, but not likely. The state also doesn't break age groups past the "guideline" in the USAG R&P. So my MoJo has a decent size age group of about 16 girls 8 and under, but the 9-10 yr olds have 38!!!! Then we just have 11+ yrs, which must be close to 26, but I wasn't paying close attention to their numbers.

Ah there's my rant and a bit of what we do. Bottom line is it all depends on who's hosting the meet. For USAG the only constant really is that L3, L4, L5 is supposed to be guaranteed achievement ribbons for each event based on their score.

My DD has finished her L3 season. At every meet we went to they gave medals for each event to a portion of the girls and then for the AA first place rec'd a trophy (we did go to one meet where the top three got trophies) and every girl rec'd an AA medal.

My dd competes aau in Fl and they break them up by previous highest score and age groups ,her group sizes have ranged from 3-15 maybe everyone places aa depending on meet either ribbon or medal, individual event from 6-8 I believe.We only go to usually 1 meet a season that gives trophies to the top 3 aa.

Here in NJ at the level 4 meets we have been to it is places out to 50% in each age group. Depends on the meet with the age group though. Most of the time my DD is in with either a 6/7 grouping or sometimes even 6-8 grouping. This year they are doing something new for the L4's at sectionals and states only meets. A "novice" grouping for new L4's and a "open" group for those that have competed L4 before. I was jelous they didn't have this last year when my DD was a newbie, but now that I've seen the scores for both there really isn't much difference, but it does allow more little ones to get awards which is very important!

Last year we saw alot of medals go out for individual and AA. This year it is mostly ribbons and a medal only for AA. There are also meets that we've been too (Ready, set, go) that also allow the girls to compete and then speak to a judge (as a team) afterwards for feedback. No individaul awards, just particiaptation medals which is nice too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back