Parents How many presses in a row?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD age 11 can do 3-4 consecutive. she is training level 8 and started gymnastics at 8 years old. she worked them at home on her own as her previous xcel team didn't work them at all. she has just recently said she wants to work on them again and try to increase how many she can do. she's been stuck at that 3-4 for a long time!

Just asked the L5/6 10 yr old. At least 10 in a row, but more like 5 if sitting. I can't clarify because I'm lucky I got that out of her. I also know it's part of her away from gym conditioning, like when we r on vacation, but Dad hangs with her not me.

I think the kids that can do multiple press handstands practice them routinely for TOPS. .
Our gym trains and conditions tons. They do TOPs skills, just not the "official TOPs program".

My dd cannot do any. She is a level 4 9 y/o, has been trying for close to a year, but has not gotten it yet.

So, D wanted to know if you meant on the floor or on parallettes, and from sitting or standing? he said 18 presses are his record on Parallettets. He is a 14 yo L9 :)

DD can do about 3 if she's lucky getting up is ok its coming back down and staying in straddle lever that gives her problems , they don't work on them constantly at gym so I think practice makes perfect with this , she can now do a pike to handstand hold I think as their core gets stronger some skills will be much easier .

My little one's goal is to do press handstands like her favorite gymnast does. She has no upper body strength, but I'm like "go for it." :p. I hope she gets it someday.

My DD is a 9 yo and training L9 and she struggles to get more than maybe 2 but she doesn't really work them consistently. She's never done the TOPS program so presses haven't really been the focus for her. She has said doing them on the floor seems to be the hardest vs. parallettes or beam.

On a good day My DD can do about 2-3 in a row before a miss - she can always manage to pull of one though. She used to be able to do a lot more (like 5-6), but puberty and growing bigger seemed to do her in when it came to presses. They aren't a priority at our gym either - it's like there is time during conditioning where they all work on and try them, but if they can't get them they do cheater ones and move on. Not a big deal.

Many of our older and high-level (9/10) optionals can't do them (some for the same reasons as my DD (had them when younger and lost them) and some just never could) - and when you have level 9/10 skills are they really a big deal/necessity?

What's kind of ironic is that my DD is better at bars now that she isn't as good at presses then she was back when she could do a lot...cause of this I don't think they are as much of a predictor of gymnastics ability as they are made out to be. That and because two of our absolute best bar workers at our gym can't even do a single press ;).

I'll have to ask DS when he gets out of practice. I think I've got the only level 10 boy on here, so he should be able to do the most, but I'll bet there are a bunch of you with little girls who can beat him. ;)

Mine can do many on the beam, several on parallettes, and a few on the floor. She mounts the beam with a press HS. However, she is just tiptoeing into puberty so those numbers might come crashing down once her shape changes.

My DD is 8 year old level 5. She did 31 press handstands a few weeks ago. I'm hesitant to post because I know it sounds unbelievable. She has been able to do them since she was 4 years old and has continued to push herself to do more. The previous record at our gym was 24 and she wanted to beat that number and set a number high enough to last for a long time, her words not mine, she did so at a TOP's practice.

My DD is 8 year old level 5. She did 31 press handstands a few weeks ago. I'm hesitant to post because I know it sounds unbelievable. She has been able to do them since she was 4 years old and has continued to push herself to do more. The previous record at our gym was 24 and she wanted to beat that number and set a number high enough to last for a long time, her words not mine, she did so at a TOP's practice.

31 presses, and 24 as well, is insane! She must be a natural ;).

9 (almost 10)year old training 7/maybe 8 can do exactly 0. She has very long legs. She tries.

Yeah, long legs hurt the ability to do presses ;) - it messes w/ the angles in that they have to clear more leg from the ground before going up. My DD's growth over the past 2 years has been almost ALL legs. She can still wear the same leos from 3+ years ago but all her older pants are floods. She lost a lot of her "press ability" as she's grown.

Usually the girls who are better at presses have short legs compared to their torsos IMO.

Oh, and if your DD is a 9 year old level 7/8 her inability to do presses obviously isn't hurting her gymnastics ;).

Okay, new question......

For those who get to 3-4, why can't they do more? I know it's a strange question, but DD says it starts hurting her wrists a lot. (Of course, her abs get tired, too.;)) She can easily do 30+ second HS holds. Does the wrist pain go away with more practice?

Okay, new question......

For those who get to 3-4, why can't they do more? I know it's a strange question, but DD says it starts hurting her wrists a lot. (Of course, her abs get tired, too.;)) She can easily do 30+ second HS holds. Does the wrist pain go away with more practice?

When my DD gets to 2-3, she can't do more cause her body just gives out from fatigue. She can always do one, but those 2nd or 3rd ones only happen under the ideal mix of being warmed up but not too tired in the muscles that count. Was able to do more when smaller cause they weren't as hard back then.

Okay, new question......

My DD said her wrists were numb after doing 31. A lot of it is core strength because the up and down movement is very physically demanding and usually what happens is on the way down they lose control an rock down to fast.

My daughter can press from the ground. She suggests wearing tiger paws or using parallets if her wrists hurt. She said it always bothered some of her teammates one way but not another. They all tried different things. She's not sure it just stops hurting with practice, but her group no longer practices them routinely, so she isn't sure. Good luck!

Okay, new question......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back