Welcome to our Gymnastics Discussion Community
554,231 messages... 44,365 topics... and 6,612 members
Join for FREE!
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts & High 5 Meets!

How Much is to much[stretching]?

• Thread starter FutureNadia1234
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FutureNadia1234

Everynight I stretch and then sit in my splits for as long as I can without it hurting to much which is about 30 minutes.Everynow and then it will really hurt[not in a stretch kind of way though] so I dont know if Im sitting in my splits to long or if its just my legs.

So my question is,is how much is to much?

gymch34

Aug 2, 2008
east coast
I have heard PT's say that 2-3 minutes is the max you can sit in a stretch & receive an benefit. There are so many other stretches you can do- pike stretches, shoulder stretches, etc. I doubt you are getting any benefit form sitting in your splits so long- just pain!

I would suggest maybe shortening your time, add some different stretches, and try to do it 2x a day, rahter than just one long spell.

Last edited:
F

FutureNadia1234

I have heard PT's say that 2-3 minutes is the max you can sit in a stretch & receive an benefit. There are so many other stretches you can do- pike stretches, shoulder stretches, etc. I doubt you are getting any benefit form sitting in your splits so long- just pain!

I would suggest maybe shortening your time, add some different stretches, and try to do it 2x a day, rahter than just one long spell.

I do a lot of other stretches before I sit in my splits.I stretch out my whole body before I do my splits.If I dont stretch a lot before I cant go down all the way or do oversplits

Status
Not open for further replies.