How much pain is tolerable?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amblan01

Gymnast
Tonight was a good night in tumbling. Probably because I was the best gymnast there for once! And it felt good that I got to lead the warm ups! Well anyways I was bored with front hand springs that I land every time so I decided to do something new! I was feeling confident so I started aerials. And I put one hand down after I'm half way through it but it was my first night of trying!

TO THE POINT, If you don't want to read all of that! On aerials I landed funny and I land hard on my left leg and I hurt my knee really bad. Like I limp when I walk but its probably tolerable since I should have to deal with this stuff. But in any other sport I'm sure I'd have to sit out. Well I have Pre-Team tomorrow and I really want to try hard and do everything as usual. But this hurts really bad! I'm going to get a neoprene knee brace before I go tomorrow to see if that helps at all. What would you do? It hurts about a 6.5 or 7 on a scale of not moving at 10 and being fine at a 1.

Also, so I don't have to open another thread, I've started front tucks off a spring board and I can do them on a trampoline easy but its just like I'm not that scared but my body won't let me flip. I just jump up off it or fall forward when I bail. Thanks for any responses!

good idea. I'm icing it now and have used athletic tape, I wrapped it (but unwrapped it for the ice pack), icy hot, and will take ibuprofen tomorrow!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using ChalkBucket mobile app

You could still go and stretch and condition and do stuff that you would not need your knee for.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Sounds like you twisted your knee which is pretty common with a skill like a side aerial or butterfly.

Basically soreness is ok but sharp pain is not.

There is a big difference between doing a front tuck on trampoline and one off the board, especially as a rec gymnast. Most gymnasts aren't able to do this until they are solid L4s/L5's.

Lay off the aerials for awhile and possibly lay off sprinting, jumping and tumbling.

I'd guess your left knee/leg is your non dominant leg and that you probably hurdle/lunge off your right. Bilateral stuff (both legs) may be more doable compared to single leg stuff (running, lunge landings).

Getting ROM in your knee may be good if it does not hurt a lot. It's a judgement call. Too much is bad, not enough can be bad over time if things tighten up but rest/laying off may be needed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back