Parents How Much Parent/Coach/Gymnast Drama Is There in Your Gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What Kind of Drama Exists in Your Gym?

• Not much drama, it's a pretty laid back place

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Watch out for the parent drama!

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • The kids seem to have some competitive issues among the group

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • The coaches are a source of drama at our gym

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gym management either creates drama or does nothing to address it

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • All of the above - they should make a reality TV show about our gym!

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other...I will explain below:

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
B

bigtiny

What is the level of drama in your gym:? Is it a hotbed for rumors and pushy parents? Do the kids get along well or have problems amongst themselves? What about the coaches with the gym management and the parents? I'd love to hear more about things work at other gyms!

not too much drama @ our gym. Little bits every now and again. Most of the drama has moved on....

We are a small gym with only 22 girls on the team (levels 3-8). they pretty much all practice together. The L3's less often and less hours. The girls all get along pretty well. Minor issues every once and a while but I think you have to expect that when you put that many girls together that often :p

Most of the parents are great. Extremely supportive for all the girls. Encouraging everyone. Not a lot of bragging or criticism.

most of the time its just rumors and gossip among the parents. but also support for the girls and boys on the team. the "bad" parents for the most part jumped ship after the states this season (thank god). Once in a while you get an explosion of drama but that usually occurs when a coach leaves on a bad note and jumps to another gym.

We do have a few "gym queens" or at least they think they are and they have the cry fests or make a fuss when they don't get their way unfortunatly they are the few top girls in the gym and the coaches don't really do alot about it. Drive me crazy.

Most of the parent drama is centered around 1 mom(who is also a part time employee) and I could go on for hours about her.

Cher has "gym queens" and we have the princesses(not quite old enough to be queens). Major maturity issues with one who likes to make snotty remarks to her teammates about their physical appearance, how she is better than everyone else and somehow "cheats" alot when the girls are conditioning. This summer could be rather explosive since some of the older girls(all of 15yo) have decided they've had enough and are going to call her out on her behavior.

I voted "other" - we are a very relaxed gym. There was ALOT of drama this year because of ONE girl (who was asked to leave her last gym) - behavior issues being disresptful to coaches and other parents, and being mean to the girls. Other than that, things are usually quiet.

drama is the reason we just left. before this yr it was laid back. I can not even begin to explain the things that happened this year or even just over the last week.

I should add that the girls and the parents all get along great . . . drama was between coaches and owners . . . owners and girls . . . owners and parents

So far new gym is drama free! :D

Last edited:
Last year was a bit drama-filled but I am happy to report that that drama has moved on as well. Sometimes coaches as well as parents can cause a lot of the drama and really make the gym a miserable place. It is amazing how much of a different aura the gym has now that the "negative drama-starters" are gone--you can really feel the difference when you walk into the gym. Sometimes you just have to wait it out a bit and usually the "good karma" will overpower the bad and things will work out for the best.

We have a great laid back club..... finally.

For the first 7 years we were open we were the only club for a long ways. This leaves people at placecs they are not happy with always.

A few other clubs opened in the area... poof all the cronic gym jumpers left. Not any drama now a few squabbles here and ther but what do you expect with a bunch of girls and moms.

New girls have come and because the girls here are all supportive of the other girls it wears off. We are not a a big top numbers scoring gym so that helps.

It seems like the more competitve the team to be on top the more drama their is. Our girls do well have fun and like each other a bunch. Our coaches are laid back also so that helps.

I am greatful for our owners/coaches they are a good bunch not perfect but good none the less.

Gymnastics is often the type of sport that draws drama. It would be very rare to find a gym that did not at least havve some drama. It of course will vary from time to time depending on the current group of competitiors.

Gymnastics is a sport that draws highly competitive often perfectionist type kids. These kids can be very, very driven. For parents its a sport that requires so many more hours and so much more committment than most so parents often become very invoilved and their own lives can get wrapped up in the gym aswell.

not too much drama @ our gym. Little bits every now and again. Most of the drama has moved on....

We are a small gym with only 22 girls on the team (levels 3-8). they pretty much all practice together. The L3's less often and less hours. The girls all get along pretty well. Minor issues every once and a while but I think you have to expect that when you put that many girls together that often :p

Most of the parents are great. Extremely supportive for all the girls. Encouraging everyone. Not a lot of bragging or criticism.

this describes our gym too! I think we have very supportive parents and kids they seem to get excited for each other when someone gets a skill

I would say not much--occasional issues like with the whole sleepover/skipping practice the weekend of a meet a few months ago, but not much! I really like most of the parents of kids on team--the Optionals anyway (I don't know the Compulsory parents real well anymore). Our two big drama queen gymnasts have left the gym, so things are laidback now!

I found the answer to gym drama - get dd a drivers liscense. Now that dd drives herself to gym I rarely go there and poof - no more drama. I stay in touch with 3 or 4 of the optional famililes that have been at the gym for years and where there is real friendship, but I don't really know most of the others. It really does cut down on the drama part.

I found the answer to gym drama - get dd a drivers liscense. Now that dd drives herself to gym I rarely go there and poof - no more drama. I stay in touch with 3 or 4 of the optional famililes that have been at the gym for years and where there is real friendship, but I don't really know most of the others. It really does cut down on the drama part.

Hey, Gymdad, do you think that would work for my 6-yearold?;) If she could get herself to practice, I could avoid some of the "drama parents!" I'll have to look into that!;)

I think the best way to handle the drama to try not to become involved in it. My daughter's group is between 8 and 11 years old and these girls are best friends one minute and then mad at each the next. They are together so much that it becomes a love hate realationship. The coaches do have my sympathy on having to deal with drama from all the gymnasts and parents. I have found that if I just keep out of it and let the coaches and the girls themselves handle things that things work out. One of the parents became involved unnessarily and it cause alittle bit of an awkward situation. Things turned out fine in the end and for the most part the parents get along and support each other. The girls also are always on their best behavior at meets and cheer their teammates on and I am proud to say they are also very respectful of the gymnasts they are competing againest.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back