Parents How often do you do private lessons

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gwenmom

Proud Parent
My DD is asking for more time one on one with her coach and I have noticed when we do the occasional private lesson that there is usually something key she gets that helps her progress, however, I am of the opinion that at 7 she probably doesn't need private lessons every week, but she is specifically asking for them

I am torn because I do seem them helping her but it seems like a lot to me for a 7 year old. What is your opinion/experience with private lessons?

I'm so glad you asked this question! I have been wondering the same. I am at a gym that seems to have A LOT of regular privates. A few parents have told me that they felt like they had to have one for their DD to move onto team, and then to move up each level. We have a standing private that is half an hour once a week. My DD is 11, and she loves this time. She feels like it really helps her gymnastics, she enjoys the undivided attention of the coach, and she likes the more laid-back atmosphere. I know there is one girl who has 6 hours of privates per week, which for me and my DD would be way too much.

6 hours a week is crazy!

I think DD likes the individual attention as well. In fact she has said that she does. But now I am getting asked at least weekly if not every couple of days and I don't want to hold her back from progressing (and her Olympic aspirations that just about all 7 year old gymnasts have) but I also agree with the parents on here that say keep them wanting more.

Wow.....6 hours a week is a bit much! Anyway, I do think that the 1-on-1 time with the coach is good and can help build the relationship and confidence in a gymnasts. Our team is small and our HC does not do privates, but she does a great job at carving out 1-on-1 (or 2) time with the girls during regular practice time (other coaches do privates if needed though).

If you're part of a large team or there are certain skills that she needs extra practice on, I think that a 30 min private once a week or so would be very helpful, but most skills should be learned/perfected during regular practice. I would be leery of the notion that it's "required" for advancement either onto the team or moving up a level....that should not be the case.

My DD does 1 half hour private a week. She started them to help get her past her fear with her giants. Now we have moved on to the beam where her real fears are. I think this way she is more relaxed without the whole team watching her balk every turn on the beam. Hopefully we can get past it and then not do the privates anymore.....as they are certainly not giving them away!

dd has had only about 5 privates in 5 years of team. Usually when she is having some difficulty with a new skill that she needs to work high reps continuously - vault, bhs, bt. In general, I'm of the opinion that the girls should be able to learn their skills in practice and shouldn't need one on one time. But sometimes when there is fear involved, the one on one really helps because they can work the increased numbers needed to get over the fear. Sometimes its nice to have a different coach's perspective too. Dd often feels more comfortable with a certain coach footer a new skill but that coach may not be the one she gets on that event regularly in practice.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I can count on 1 hand the # of privates my dd has had and she is a level 7 now. Really we have only done them when she seemed to be seriously struggling with a skill and need some undivided attention to get past it.

I think we have done 2 privates over 4 years of competing. How much do your gyms charge for privates?? I'm just curious how people can afford them weekly :rolleyes:.

I think they're fine if a gymnast is truly struggling with a skill they need to get, but regular privates for no other reason is a little much if they're in the higher compulsory levels or optionals. How would they even fit that in their schedule??

Bella does a one hour private once a week during competition season. I know a lot of people would look down on that but oh well. She enjoys it and it helps her in my opinion. Yes, it's expensive but it is worth it in my opinion.

At the beginning of the season, she really needs the extra time to help her with sequencing her routines. At this point, she is working on small details and also doing quite a bit of uptraining.

I don't think it's fair to declare that privates are good or bad or only good under certain circumstances. I believe it is up to the family, the gymnast, and the coach to determine whether or not privates are warranted.

Thanks everyone. She got some one on one time with her favorite coach today and I just signed her up for summer gymnastics camp (ouch) so I think we will hold off on private lessons for awhile

Privates should not be nessesary at all at the age of 7. If the child is doing all the required team hours it should be enough to teach them everything they need. It sounds like a money making venture, and 6 hours of privates a week definitely sounds like a money making venture.

Between my 2 gymnasts, now in our 9th year of team, they have had fewer than 10 hours total. Coaches feel (and I agree) they are not necessary unless there is a specific struggle, however, even during those times, DD's felt the one-on-one as being more pressure than helpful.

Never done them. A few years back they had some kids doing them, but I haven't seen it at all with team kids lately. My oldest coaches and she's done several privates when she's home from college--mostly rec kids trying to get skills to move up or cheerleaders working on tumbling.

D does them occassionally. maybe 4-6 a year. Usually it is if he is working on a skill that the others in his group are not working yet. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not so much. I just let him decide if/when he might need one, then talk to the coach to see if it would be helpful or not.

Privates...Ha-Ha-Ha!! :rotfl:
(Sorry, the kid in me still giggles at that word:p)

Our gym doesn't do privates as a rule. I have seen our HC work with the level 10's occasionally when learning/choreographing a new floor routine, but never a little one in one of the lower levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back