WAG How often do you talk w/ the coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

x98peterson

Proud Parent
Just curious what the norm is? My daughter is on team now (started in Jan) and I am not sure what long term "vision" they have for her, etc. I receive no progress reports- ie- written, on her skills and such. I don't really even know what level they plan to compete her in? I assume level 3- old 4? She has her cartwheel on beam and can land the handstand dismount, has her bar routine (but no kip) and handstand vault- I guess they learn floor soon? (she has RO, BH, BH, and RO BT w/o spot) I only watch a few times a mo- but only the last hour since I work.

I do talk w/ the coach sometimes at the counter after practices, but VERY brief. (more to discuss schedules, uniforms,etc). I feel like since she is 7 sometimes I need to be her voice, but don't want to come accross pushy either, I see other parents having meetings w/ the coach in the back office pretty often. (I have never done that) I love her coaches and I am sure if I wanted a "private" meeting they would sit down w/ me, but what do I say? lol... Hope that all makes sense.

Do you have a problem with her progress or the quality of coaching she is receiving? If not, I wouldn't recommend a meeting.

It sounds like she is close to level 4 on everything but bars but she'd definitely need a kip at most gyms.

At a lot of gyms they don't tell you the "level" for next year before the summer - just what her groups time is, because they will evaluate the level again before fall schedule.

I talk to the coaches all the time but rarely about skills or levels- mostly chit chat. Her coach did stop me last week to tell me they aren't letting her move away without a kip, even if she has to sleep on the mats and not go home, lol, but our gym only talks progress generally if it's lacking.

I talk to the coaches all the time but rarely about skills or levels- mostly chit chat. Her coach did stop me last week to tell me they aren't letting her move away without a kip, even if she has to sleep on the mats and not go home, lol, but our gym only talks progress generally if it's lacking.
I think your current gym is doing very well by your family :) God Bless them and you!

It sounds like she is doing very well and progressing.
If she begins competition in 2 months or so, just let it be...especially with summer here.
The vision is for her to compete well at her level, place at meets and eventually make it to optionals.

I think the coaches really appreciate those parents who reserve the meetings for urgent issues. The parents that are constantly meeting are usually too involved anyway.
If i NEED to ask, i try a casual 'hey coach, Im so happy to see her doing X!' Thats great!!"
Other than that, I try not to bother.

I get very frequent updates but I think I've got an atypical situation. I get information about performance/new skills/etc probably twice a week. Also at least once a year we get a face-to-face one-on-one meeting (usually after the season is over), as well as a written checklist of skills at the end of the summer.

We chit chat every day.

I am pretty comfortable talking to the coaches when I have questions. Not during the practices, of course, but after the practices they are usually pretty open.
Right now the only question I have is if my DD will compete L3 or L4 next season, but I know they can't answer that yet, so I don't bother them. I know they do everything they can to get her to L4 in time for the season, but it's up to her to get the skills. If she is not there by September, then she'll repeat L3.
But sometimes it pays off being a "pushy" parent. Last year they put DD on L2, and promised to move her up to L3 as soon as she gets the skills. However, they wouldn't let her practice any of the L3 skills, so I had to talk to them a few times to remind them of the plan. They listened and she did get to move up mid season, so I'm glad I spoke up, even if I appeared a bit "pushy".

Good point IrenaKa, I do think my daughter prob would still be in Hot Shots (pre team) if we had not expressed our very strong desire for her to be on team. It doesn't seem that many parents want their kids on team from the chat I hear at our gym, most are pretty content in pre team. I think that jump to that level of committment is scary to some parents and kids I suppose.

Chit chat once a week, maybe less. Two formal meeting opportunities a year when we get to ask any questions, talk about plans for DD and whether she's on track, etc. This year we declined the 2nd meeting as we didn't have anything to discuss. We also get a written progress report at least once a year. Very luck to have good communication from DD's coaches.

For DS, chit chat also maybe once a month. We rarely talk about progress, plans etc as things are pretty clear cut at his gym re: progression of gymmies. Last year we did get a written report midway through the competitive season. Less communication from DS coaches but we feel it is adequate. I wish they would give more advance notice re: practice cancellations, summer schedule, fees, etc.

Sounds like there are examples of excellent communication between client-management-coaches. Congrats folks.

If you have need of communication -ASK. I can not imagine that a coach/Head-caoch/Business owner would not respond. We all appreciate the effort, time, financial and emotional sacrifices parents and athletes invest. Coaches/businesses invest the same.

I wear a USA-G Head Coach hat. Hear are some of the more formal communications our gym holds with Team Families:
Parents Mtg
- Formal one time a year, early spring. Goal is to speak to past season, move-ups and Summer/Fall Schedule.
Level Coaches Mtg - Formal w/Coach of each Level and their parents held once a year after competitive season. Parents can sign up for meeting times with Coach and Head Coach (me). Goal is to cover offer more individual conversations.
Email (Coaches Corner email) - An email, 1 for Optionals, 1 for Comp. and 1 for Pre-Team families. Any informational updates, schedule info, coach comments since previous email and goals for each group (USA-G Level) on each event. I link a secure file w/vids and pics of their gymnasts in the gym. Our goal has been monthly, but we published 9 emails this past year.
Coach handoff - Coaches are asked to walk their gymnasts to their drivers at the end of each practice. Ushering their gymnasts out of the gym, thru the lobby and to locker rooms by staff is a normal ending to practice. Conversations between parents and staff are invaluable. I harp on staff and remind myself that any serious questions are never addressed in public (lobby is public).
Call me - Business cards are available at the front desk with my name, cell and business phone.

Coaching and the running of the Team Program is my passion and business. Communication is critcal to our marketing, continuing value statement and investment in our clients. The above may sound like you are coddled, met in the parking lot by an attendant, upon entering the door provided fleece slippers, hot cafe' and warm baked goods. Not true. I have boundaries and expect that parents hold themselves to the acceptable gym standard (as per Team handbook). The OP did not ask about boundaries, but I do enforce them as I would with athletes and staff. Parents are critical in their contribution to the discipline in the gym.

Each gym is successful for many reasons. The styles and strategies differ, but participation in the USA-G program and marketplace makes us more similar than different. I speak to other businesses all the time and we share that we value the communication with our clients.

Best, SBG -

Last edited:
We have no formal meetings/evaluations, etc. The coaches do not come out into the lobby after practice, so there's really no way to "chit chat." Granted, they get out of practice at 9 p.m. and the coaches want to get home to their families, but this still bugs me a little.

If we have a concern, we can set up a time to talk to the coach in person. We've been at our gym for a year and the only chatting I've done with the coach was when my daughter had an injury. We talked about prognosis, what she could and couldn't do, etc. Granted, my daughter is in optionals. I do see a lot more parents talking with coaches in rec/the lower levels.

I chit chat a bit with our HC but not a lot. Our gym is implementing a new ask the coach conference this year starting Monday and I signed up to talk about what the plans are for DD. For the most part everyone is approachable at our gym.

HC has a meeting in April for the parents of the girls that she is inviting up to team (actually open to any of the parents of girls in that level, but most whose daughters are not ready opt not to attend). I attend the meeting too... to help her remember talking points... offer a "seasoned parent" perspective... etc.

We have a parent meeting in August to discuss the upcoming season... get information about meets and team leotards... and all the important team "contract" stuff.

There is a parent meeting in preparation for any home meets. Another meeting before district Championships. And 2 meetings for those families attending Y Nationals.

We also have a team banquet (no clue when it will be this year though because we are booked pretty solidly with Nationals, then camp, then starting the Jr High team, and the Y team).

I've always talked to our coaches a lot. Our first coach asked me how far I wanted my DD to go in gymnastics and I asked what she thought of her potential. From there we always discussed progress, tweaks to progression, suggestions of privates for a challenged skill, etc. New coach now, but similar relationship. I respect coaches opinions and decisions, but want to be in on their thinking and plans for my DD. I would think coaches would want to talk to parents too? Interesting to see what coaches say on this thread.

if we had a coach....sigh

but when we did, I usually would talk if we had a question, or he would if he had good news or concerns. but thats it

We don't talk to the coaches unless we have a quick question. Yesterday I needed to ask a question and stopped one of the coaches on her way in. Otherwise we have a one-on-one meeting with them in the middle of winter. It is really just to talk about what she'll need for the next level and a very brief "how they are doing overall". I guess if you are new to team then you could shoot the coach an email. Just simply ask how is she doing overall? I've realized that team is nothing like rec. You don't get the progress reports, your coach isn't going to stop and tell you how wonderful they are doing...that will be seen at the meets :)

In regards to the other parents...maybe there IS a reason for a meeting? It's hard not to speculate what is going on "behind closed doors" but it's best not to :) If your DD is progressing fine and on time for practice, proper attire, listening, making corrections she is most likely one of the last kiddos whose parents need a meeting with the coach :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back