WAG How often do your preteam girls practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hopeorf

Coach
Curious to hear from parents and coaches about how often their preteamers practice (days per week/hours per practice). Also, what were the requirements/skills/testing policies to get there? What level will they be competing when they are finished with the preteam program?

Preteam level 2 girls do 4 hours a week at our gym, 2 hour practices, twice a week.
I’m not sure of the exact requirements but the girls from the rec classes are usually scouted and invited to join from the coaches.

Our preteam practices 2x a week for 2 hours. The girls are chosen from the rec classes. There are no specific requirements. It seems that they choose girls based on their abilities to do the skills that they are learning. Girls can be invited to preteam at any time but team invitations are only in June. There is a checklist of skills that they want the girls to have or be very close to having before inviting them to team. A girl may have to stay on preteam if she is not ready. They start to compete at level 3 or Xcel silver. Comp season is about Nov-April.

Preteam level 2 girls do 4 hours a week at our gym, 2 hour practices, twice a week.
I’m not sure of the exact requirements but the girls from the rec classes are usually scouted and invited to join from the coaches.

oops sorry, I made a mistake. Level 2 girls actually practice 6 hours at our gym. 2 hour practices, 3 times a week.

Level 2 competed 5 meets during the season years ago when my daughter was in it, I’m not sure about now. Every gym is different and some don’t have girls compete until level 3. Hope this helps!

We have no preteam. Rec, where they are really learning level 1 things. 1 hour a week.
Level 2, 4/5 hours, I forget
Level 3, 7 hours with an option to do 9/10 hours
Level 4 and up, 9 hours with the option to do 12-14.

Summer all have the option to do more. Maxing out a 30 for camp weeks, but really they can do anywhere in between.

No one really gets turned away. If they are willing to do the work its fine. They move up at their own pace. If they do the skills they just don't , move up. Some max out wherever they are and move on. We also have kids who love gym, but have really felt they don't want to keep competing the same level and chose to still come to gym.

Pre team is two hours twice a week. They will have a tryout in the spring for level 3 team to compete that coming fall. I think they mostly pull kids from rec or let them try pre team based on parent/child interest.
They also have what I guess is like a pre/pre team for 4/5 yr olds that meets once a week for one hour.

Our pre team was also 2x per week for 2 hours (total 4 hours). Kids were pulled from rec based on coach recommendation, or possibly if the parent asked for an evaluation. We also had a check list of skills that were primarily level 2 skills, but also had strength elements like leg lifts, etc. After pre-team, a select number of girls move to level 3 (in the May/June timeframe). More recently, a gymnast can also move to Xcel Bronze or Silver.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back