Off Topic how old threads are handled

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I have noticed quite a few old threads popping up lately from new poster who do not know better but this made me think - under the old site, wasn't there a time limitation on threads, at which point you couldn't post to the thread anymore? Do we not have this with this new site? Is it possible? I know I don't look at the dates so sometimes I will post to an old thread that has been revived by another person.

Using the old forum software there was a pop up that warned members about digging up old threads. It seems not to have made it through the upgrades. I will discuss this with the admins.

The reason we decided, a long time ago, to discourage members from digging up old threads is that often the OP's of them are gone, the topic is out of date and no longer relevant.

People seem to use the search function and find some of the oddest threads to drag back up.

What we suggest, if you want to discuss a topic that has been discussed before, is that you start a new thread and refer to the previous thread.

People seem to use the search function and find some of the oddest threads to drag back up.

The similar threads feature brings up some very old threads. If you're not paying attention and just click because it sounds interesting then an old thread can easily be revived. I was not so kindly reprimanded for bringing up an old thread when I was new. Everyone, please remember to be kind, people are not trying to be malicious when they comment on an old thread. We are just trying to discus the sport we love.

I think we warn everyone the same way. Usually "please do not drag up old threads.". Not sure we can say much else.

It would be way easier if the warning was on the old threads as before. I will work on that.

"Why has a thread that is almost a year old been dragged up? Please do not do this, especially when the thread is about nothing."

Yes, it says please, but it felt pretty unkind. Maybe it would be better to send a private message to the person who brought up an old thread. Something like: Hi, Welcome to Chalk Bucket. I noticed you commented on the thread ..... It is an old thread from month/year. Please be aware of the dates of threads and only comment on more recent ones.

I was new. I did not notice the date. I also did not realize it was such a crime, because well I was new.

Yes, you are right, it could have been worded better. I am sorry.

I think sometimes I forget that new members do not magically know everything I think they should. I will try to remember that. There are so many things to deal with some days that I just click away without really thinking.

I have asked JBS to fix the issue and so it hopefully will cure me, and the old post issues.

Yes, you are right, it could have been worded better. I am sorry.

I think sometimes I forget that new members do not magically know everything I think they should. I will try to remember that. There are so many things to deal with some days that I just click away without really thinking.

I have asked JBS to fix the issue and so it hopefully will cure me, and the old post issues.
Thanks.

"Why has a thread that is almost a year old been dragged up? Please do not do this, especially when the thread is about nothing."

Yes, it says please, but it felt pretty unkind. Maybe it would be better to send a private message to the person who brought up an old thread. Something like: Hi, Welcome to Chalk Bucket. I noticed you commented on the thread ..... It is an old thread from month/year. Please be aware of the dates of threads and only comment on more recent ones.

I was new. I did not notice the date. I also did not realize it was such a crime, because well I was new.
Thanks. That is how I felt

Reactions: sce
Next time, perhaps you could remind the offender not to do this by sending them a private message, because having a whole forum about you is quite embarrassing

Reactions: sce
Next time, perhaps you could remind the offender not to do this by sending them a private message, because having a whole forum about you is quite embarrassing

As I said this issue has only come about due to the fact the forum was upgraded and the warning that appeared on any post over three months old has disappeared. Hopefully that will be fixed soon and I will not have to spend my time dealing with this issue.

Do remember that other members have been reporting these old threads to me as they find them bothersome. There are only so many hours in a day for me to moderate here, as a volunteer, I do the best I can do with the time I have.

Clearly I am not warning, reminding, in order to piss people off either. Warning people on the actual thread stops other members from making the same mistake too.

the similar threads function at the bottom seems to encourage the resurrection of old threads. have you considered eliminating that feature?

I wouldn't recommend eliminating that feature. If someone is looking for threads on say, Severs disease, if their question isn't answered in the thread they're reading, they can read the others. Perhaps their question will be answered there, and they don't need to create a new thread.

We used to have a warning and then we would lock really old threads.

I'll see if I can figure it out again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back