Parents How sick to scratch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD had to miss a meet in compulsories because she had influenza. High fever, coughing, congestion, body aches, nausea...it was awful. She was devastated missing the meet but there is no way she would have been safe. On the other hand, one of her teammates woke up on the day of State meet last year when they were in L8 (much higher stakes here!) and the girl (age 13) decided to take some ibuprofen and power through. She did great considering that she was sick...but she was definitely not up to her normal standard.

I guess my answer is much like the other answers: lower level meet, stay home. Optional meet, State meet, whatever...might be a different answer.
Ibuprofen and Adrenaline can get you through.

Ibuprofen and Adrenaline can get you through.
I respectfully disagree, and when your child is an optional, you might change your mind. If the extent of going around the bar is a mill circle or front hip circle, it is a lot different than a front Giant or tchev. My kid gets dizzy after doing too many regular Giants in a row on straps....nwih would I let her compete them with flu symptoms. I do get that we all know our own children. But for mine flu symptoms are a definite no go.

I respectfully disagree, and when your child is an optional, you might change your mind. If the extent of going around the bar is a mill circle or front hip circle, it is a lot different than a front Giant or tchev. My kid gets dizzy after doing too many regular Giants in a row on straps....nwih would I let her compete them with flu symptoms. I do get that we all know our own children. But for mine flu symptoms are a definite no go.
We're talking compulsories in my case. Thanks for the heads up.

I just think it's hard to know for sure until it's your kid that's sick. In compulsories, the stakes are lower, but the skills are also easier and not as risky. Obviously the inverse is true for optionals. It's a judgment call you can't really make until you're in the moment honestly.

When it comes down to it it's just a meet. There will be others. I can't fathom bringing a child to a meet that is contagious. I just can't. I have a bit of a different perspective because my dd has asthma and the flu can turn dangerous very fast for her. Last year she got pneumonia from a very mild cold. She almost ended up hospitalized. Please remember that when you send your child to a meet sick ( or school or anywhere else for that matter) it affects more people than just you and your child.

My DD has competed several times under the circumstances described by OPs DD. Each time DD was at least 24 hours post-fever and felt well enough to compete. The coaches always encouraged her to compete if she was up for it. Routines and skills were not as complicated back then. Now at L8 I've noticed that the coaches will 'go easy' on a kid at practice if they have been unwell. For example, they may have a slightly different assignment for the day on beam that involves less or no acro. There was no 'going easy' until this level. My DD has some sort of congestion most of the winter and has asthma so she's unfortunately used to training under less than ideal circumstances. She still talks about how much harder floor is now that she is doing 3 tumbling passes vs 2. I expect if she gets a more serious illness just prior to a meet that she will scratch or at least modify a routine.

My DD has competed several times under the circumstances described by OPs DD. Each time DD was at least 24 hours post-fever and felt well enough to compete. The coaches always encouraged her to compete if she was up for it. Routines and skills were not as complicated back then. Now at L8 I've noticed that the coaches will 'go easy' on a kid at practice if they have been unwell. For example, they may have a slightly different assignment for the day on beam that involves less or no acro. There was no 'going easy' until this level. My DD has some sort of congestion most of the winter and has asthma so she's unfortunately used to training under less than ideal circumstances. She still talks about how much harder floor is now that she is doing 3 tumbling passes vs 2. I expect if she gets a more serious illness just prior to a meet that she will scratch or at least modify a routine.
I like the idea of modifying routines for these situations. At our gym, the girls all have "back pocket skills" they can substitute in if needed. In some cases, especially at the higher levels, they may take a hit on the SV, but if they really want to compete, I would prefer a lower SV and a safer routine than a full SV and more danger.

Ugh, going through this now. DD (lv 6, 9 y.o.) has not practiced since Wed for a meet tomorrow. Fever spiking then nothing, frustrating. Very bad headache though. Right now we are a no for tomorrow, but she is waiting for a miracle. She seems fine in the middle of the day, it's the morning and night that are bad. Going to doc in a few, so maybe that will answer the question for us (honestly, hoping!!). Not really an important meet, but a big one that is always enjoyable. She hasn't been in gym since Wed; do I call them and let them know we are playing by ear, or just wait til morning? We don't have as much communication with this year's coaches as last year (would have texted back and forth a number of times by now). Thanks for everyone's input. I think while we all know our child and individual situations, it's helpful to hear what others have done.

Our coaches let girls in your DD's situation go to the meet to warm-up, and then see how they feel. If they think they're OK, they get to compete. If not, they are a last-minute scratch. Send your coach that text to ask if that'll be ok, especially if your daughter stays fever free for 24 hours before the meet!

Well... doesn't really matter now. It is the flu:eek: She is upset to miss the Manhattan Classic, but I'm glad that I do not have to make a game-day decison!

Oh so much depends on the kid. I am fortunate (or not to work in healthcare). And I live in the NE, tis the season, for ummm everything............

Granted she is a lowly L5 (currently), but it is not unusual for kids to have something this time of year..

Meets while having some sort of creeping crud. Mind she had no symptoms until the night before meet and practiced all week with her team and folks were like your here!!! Umm she has no flu, strep or mono. Tylenol and she is all good.

My kid as done a meet a week post flu (no longer contagious) .....and been out due to strep/scarlett fever..................

Its not black and white. And a huge difference depending on things like is it a meet, has she qualified for states or is it acutally states. Then you go what, how bad.....................................etc..............

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back