How tall is too tall?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

AmyB

Hi. My dd loves gymnastics, and she is doing well. She is on pre-team (developmental, approximately level 3), and the coaches are impressed and planning for her to joing team - great! Although she is only a little above average height for her age (6 years), I am 5'9 and dh is 6'10. :rolleyes: I don't want to discourage her favorite activity, but I also don't want to commit to a sport she seems destined to outgrow. I would appreciate any advice! Thanks.

i am by no means an expert, but in my opinion, and from what i've seen, it doesn't matter how tall you are. you can do gymnastics at any level at any height. there is a gymnast here on CB who started a post about gymnasts' height who is 5'9" and a level 10 gymnast.

don't ever tell your dd that she is too tall to do gymnastics or let her coaches tell her that!! if she loves it and is doing well, let her keep doing what she loves and it doesn't matter what anyone says.

when i was younger i went to gymnastics and they basically said i could never get anywhere in gymnastics.. that i was "too tall" and my mom believed them and made me stop going. i was devastated... i loved nothing more than gymnastics, and that effectively crushed my dreams. i didn't even try to do gymnastics 'til college because i figured i just couldn't do it.. that i had the wrong body type and it wasn't possible for me. however, my old coaches couldn't have been more wrong!! i'm 5'5" and i started going to gymnastics a few years ago at an adult class, and i progressed very well and even made it on the prep op team. i am certainly not "too tall" for gymnastics like they said. my coach is 5'7" and she was a college gymnast.

being shorter and lighter can give you an advantage in gymnastics and make it easier to do certain skills, but in my opinion, that's where it ends.

there is NO such thing as being too tall to do gymnastics!!!

I wouldn't worry about too tall. Although most elites are on the small side, there are many girls who make it to optionals who are taller than average. If she loves it, that matters far more than what her size will be in 10 years.

I personally love to see the taller gymnasts compete. It's good to see some variety in our sport, and some of the longer girls have just gorgeous lines.

I agree--don't put a height limit on gymnastics or her dreams. If she loves it, let her continue. Many world class gymnasts were tall--Svetlana Khorkina is 5ft 7in, Svetlana Boguinskaya is 5ft 4in, and Nastia is 5ft 3in. Besides she is only 6-let her have fun.

I think she will be fine. don't let height stop her from doing what she loves. I know most are on the smaller size but I think if someone is dedicated enough they can do what they love no matter how tall or short they are.

Its like saying your to short for basketball. Ive seen some short girls on school teams and done very very well.

she will be fine let her have fun.

I'm guessing you haven't heard of Tiffany Hyland. She is a sophomore gymnast at UCLA and she is 5'8"! If you would like to read an article on her you can find it here. Height shouldn't hold your daughter back if gymnastics is something she wants to do.

"Too tall" is exactly one inch taller than your DD's eventual adult height. There are many great gymnasts who are on the tall side, and because your DD is only just going into level 4 and is only a little taller than average right now, she will be able to enjoy many years of gymnastics yet. She may be disadvantaged eventually, especially at the higher levels, but that is no reason not to let her enjoy it and give it her best shot. And who knows? Perhaps her [possible] height will not hinder her much at all!

Not Too Tall

"Too tall" is exactly one inch taller than your DD's eventual adult height.

Sounds like a great answer. I will take it! Thanks for all your responses. I did not know there were so many successful optional level gymnastics who were so tall. My DD will have my full support as a team gymnast and never hear me worry about her height. Her lines are very pretty, and I can reassure her with that when others comment with surprise about her sport of choice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back