How to arrange/schedule workouts to effectively achieve six desired goals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My name is Justin and hope things are going well for all of you. I am
not a former gymnast or anyting but I do enjoy gymnastic conditioning
and have been doing it for about a year. There are six goals that I
want to achieve, some being short and some being long term. They are:
ring HS, straddle L press HS, L-sit press HS, straddle planche, iron
cross, and full range of motion handstand pushup. If you can, could
anyone provide me with some effective exercises and programming ideas
that would not overtrain me considering most of these are pressing
skills. My current strength looks something like this: 3 free standing handstand
pushups on the ground, three standing straddle press HS, standing pike
press to HS, full BL, straddle FL, bent arm L-sit press to handstand
on rings, tuck planche for 25 seconds, and I guess probably 8 or so
muscle ups on rings. I understand this is a bit of a hefty request but I would be very grateful for any kind of help. This summer, I plan to workout on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays if this helps organize anyone's thoughts. Also, If I need to go into
further detail on some things I'd be glad to. God bless guys.

Justin

I don't know exactly what you mean, sir. I guess you can call me a fitness enthusiast and I simply want to be able to do the six skills that I mentioned previously. Don't really have another purpose to be honest besides getting into better shape and becoming stronger. If you're willing to help I would greatly appreciate it. God bless

Justin

what is the unexpressed purpose of your request?

He's legit, I'll vouch for him. Line breaks are showing up wierd because (I assume) he copypasted most of the post from an e-mail he sent me asking for workout advice (I directed him here).

EDIT: To (finally) give you an answer: I think the ideal schedule/structure really varies from person to person, especially for at-home, self-training fitness enthusiasts. In general, though, I recommend alternating between heavy and light strength training days. On heavy days, push yourself hard and wear yourself out. On light days, just do some easier, lighter strength work and focus primarily on flexibility.

So let's go through your goals:

1) Ring handstand: I've seen a number of training tools and drills for this, but in my experience, the best way to learn it is to try it. And then try it again. And again. And so on. (this, of course, assumes you already have a good press handstand on floor and/or parallel bars)

2) Straddle L press handstand: Work your pancake and center split, and work a lot of straddle support holds. Break the skill down into it's components, and practice them individually: a straddle L, a press from straddle L to your feet, a press from your feet to handstand. Also, I highly recommend lots of half presses

3) L-sit press handstand: you'll have to clarify this one; do you mean on floor or on rings or what?

4) Straddle planche: there are a number of ways to train this, and I recommend combining several of them. First, there's tuck planches, which are pretty self-explanatory. Second, there's a piked-straddle planches; this is the same as a straddle planche, but with the hips piked. As you get stronger, you can gradually decrease the pike. Third (and this is the way I learned), if you can hold a static handstand, try to press down from handstand to planche. Just lower to the lowest point where you can actually hold, and hold it there. This is great for practicing both the strength and the balance.

5) Iron cross: my preferred method is to take a theraband and put it between the rings (you can just hold it there with your hands. Get up in a support with your feet on the band, and then lower to cross. The band holds some of the weight, so it's a bit easier than an unassisted cross. Plan on progressing very slowly on this skill; it is very easy to injure your shoulders working crosses.

6) Handstand push-up: nothing to it but to do it.

Last edited:
This is great Geoffrey! Thank you for your response. And to go into a bit more detail regarding L-sit press to handstand, I simply want to be able to learn on parallettes first than move to the rings once I am proficient enough. Also, I have an idea that would make for a good heavy strength day but what would be an example of a light strength day with the goals here in mind? In addition, should all of these exercises be done in the same day or do you think it would be a good idea to split them up? Thanks again.

Justin

Hey Geoff, could you reply on the L-sit press to handstand and other questions above? Forgive me for sounding impatient just really pumped about getting these skills nailed! Thanks again for your input. God bless

Justin

There aren't really any tricks to an L-sit press handstand. Stretch your pike, do a lot of L-sits, and.... go for it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back