Coaches how to become a coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nastia1

Coach
Hi I was wondering how to get involed in coaching gymnastics. I have been volunteering at my local high school team for about three years now and really like doing that, but I want to coach at a higher level and without having safety certification i know that won't happen. what do i have to do?i thought about volunteering at the local gym. i know the coach, so i thought i would ask him. any advice would be appreciated.

for highschool you do not need a safety cert if you have a college degree.

For USAG you need the USAG Safety cert, and most likely first aid. The USAG Safety is offered through the USAG website. As posted above, the gym you join up with will probably help you if there is an experienced coach there.

First aid is a local thing, so youll need to look that one up.

Good luck!

Ryan

hey ryan, but they still require you to take the acep exam for high school, yes?

It may be different from state to state, but you wont need it if you have a college degree (unless Im mistaken, but I didn't need to get it).

I know for high school you have to have a teacher certification.

As for the original question, my may need CPR as well. I don't know if that is part of first aid but we just got safety certification for USAG through the club and CPR through the club as well. If you go to a club they will start you off with younger kids and levels and then you have to like shadow an upper level coach to learn how to spot skills and learn drills and things like that. You will also need a Jr. Professional membership or a Professional membership depending on how old you are and if you are over 18 you have to have a background check and the club would pay for that as well.

When I was still a gymnast I would listen to every single correction that the coach would give all the girls and they would explain why they are given that correction and that's how I learned a lot about coaching as well as like youtube with the gymnastics minute, and coaching.com and now gymnastike.org has good drills. Even though I was a level 9 artistic gymnast and an elite level acrobatic gymnast I still started out coaching acro and artistic pre team and younger kids in just basic level class and had to work my way up for now 4 years. Im still not coaching the levels I want but Im not going to give up; so you don't either. Hope everything works out for you! Good Luck!

Last edited:
You do not a jr or professional membership.

It would be a good idea to going through CPR and basic first aid.

Reading the L1 Rookie Coach's guide by USAG is probably a good idea. It's nothing eye opening by any means, nor is the Safety certication.

USAG Safety certification isn't required. It's useful if you've never read it before. After that, it's nothing stellar.

Most gyms will make you shadow coach for a week or two.

Any gym worth their salt will train you.

A good gym will require you to do a lot of extensive training ongoing typically weekly or biweekly besides weekly reading and video learning and time spent observing classes from outside the class.

Many gyms don't train their coaches nearly to the point of what they should, merely what they deem is necessary. That being the problem that it isn't enough.

Hi I was wondering how to get involed in coaching gymnastics. I have been volunteering at my local high school team for about three years now and really like doing that, but I want to coach at a higher level and without having safety certification i know that won't happen. what do i have to do?i thought about volunteering at the local gym. i know the coach, so i thought i would ask him. any advice would be appreciated.
Hi Nastia
(tongue in cheek) I found that just by turning up at a gym and looking closely at the training usually was enough to be asked by the coaching staff if I was interested in coaching. If you are not noticed straight away, put a hand under your chin, tilt your head to one side, frown a little as if you are in deep thought and you will soon have someone over asking you to join in........ or perhaps just walk up and ask.

Remember 1 thing, like being a good gymnast requires a good coach ....if you want the best chance of learning your coaching trade well ask to help out at a gym that you know has successful coaches. Learn from the best and be open to what they say.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back