WAG How To Coach Your Gymnast At Home

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You know... I'd like to politely dissent from the "completely hands off" point of view.

My son took up music a year ago. I play music. At his music teacher's request, I help him decipher his weekly lessons, I correct bad form and do drills with him. We also joyously make music together... Downloading pop song tabs from the web and improvising harmonies. My heart is swollen with love as we play and I suspect his is as well. What a blessing it is to be able to bond like this. If I did not assist him in his lessons, making corrections I'd be waiting years before he'd be strong enough to be able to jam with me, his grandmother and grandfather. According to this blogger, should I have been hands off?

I am double blessed to also share a love of movement with my daughter. We dance and tumble together daily. She doesn't ask me to play with dolls... She asks me to help make up dances and flip with her. I have an extensive background so yes, I do correct things that I legitimately have experience and knowledge in. It's joyous and playful. She loves to correct MY skills and exclaim that she's stronger than I am. It's how she wants her home life to be. she would be a less happy kid and our home would be a lot more boring with a hands off approach.

Every family and situation is different. We aren't trying to get to the olympics anyway.

Nicely written! My dd thinks I know zero about gymnastics & wouldn't listen even if I tried to help :)

You know... I'd like to politely dissent from the "completely hands off" point of view.

My son took up music a year ago. I play music. At his music teacher's request, I help him decipher his weekly lessons, I correct bad form and do drills with him. We also joyously make music together... Downloading pop song tabs from the web and improvising harmonies. My heart is swollen with love as we play and I suspect his is as well. What a blessing it is to be able to bond like this. If I did not assist him in his lessons, making corrections I'd be waiting years before he'd be strong enough to be able to jam with me, his grandmother and grandfather. According to this blogger, should I have been hands off?

I am double blessed to also share a love of movement with my daughter. We dance and tumble together daily. She doesn't ask me to play with dolls... She asks me to help make up dances and flip with her. I have an extensive background so yes, I do correct things that I legitimately have experience and knowledge in. It's joyous and playful. She loves to correct MY skills and exclaim that she's stronger than I am. It's how she wants her home life to be. she would be a less happy kid and our home would be a lot more boring with a hands off approach.

Every family and situation is different. We aren't trying to get to the olympics anyway.

I am assuming that this is written as satire? It is hilarious.

I am assuming that this is written as satire? It is hilarious.

No. My family is a circus. My parents were the same way with my brother and I. Like I'm not talking about saltos and yurchenkos here... I'm not even the only parent I know who does the same thing.

So, when do people find time to "coach" their child at home? Really...Maybe because D is in gym so much, but when he is home the only coaching he gets is:

Is your homework done?
DId you eat?
Did you clean your room?
DO your chores?
Is your homework done?

LOL. I don't have time to coach his gymnastics! THat is why I send him to gym.....home is for all the other stuff he needs to learn to do!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back