WAG How to cut Floor music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
I’ve been trying to get into cutting Floor music. What are Some do’s/ dont’s? Specific programs you use? Use the actual begin/end or create your own? Compose something yourself with instrument, strictly instrumental or a combo?

Curious to hear your opinions!

I’ve been trying to get into cutting Floor music. What are Some do’s/ dont’s? Specific programs you use? Use the actual begin/end or create your own? Compose something yourself with instrument, strictly instrumental or a combo?

Curious to hear your opinions!
I like the program Audacity.
Once you have legally purchased the track (or created one yourself), you can decide how to cut it.
You want to make sure there are tempo changes, but that the piece flows... or has natural breaks.
Sometimes, I use the beginning and / or the end ... but at other times, I will take bits and pieces from throughout a piece - It all depends on the gymnast ... still other times, I will take pieces from multiple tracks and combine them. Like I said, it is about what the gymnast wants.

Is this for Apple, Android or windows? I've never heard of it before. Thank you for all the suggestions! In this case I'm the gymnast, so I'll just see what I like best when I'm messing around with it a bit
I know you can get it for Mac or Windows, not sure about Android.

I cut my daughter's on Garage Band. I took 2 versions of the same basic music and took out the parts we didn't like, then put together the parts we did like. And yes, make sure there are tempo changes and it is not monotonous.

I cut my daughter's on Garage Band. I took 2 versions of the same basic music and took out the parts we didn't like, then put together the parts we did like. And yes, make sure there are tempo changes and it is not monotonous.
I used to use Garage Band, but when it upgraded, I didnt like it anymore (might just be hard to use with my computer now).
It was my "go to" app until then.

I cut my dd’s floor music using GarageBand also. We have a Mac and the software came free with the Mac.

I found cutting floor music to be a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. The song dd chose had a lot of changes in key, so choosing the places to make the cuts so that the pieces spliced back together would sound like a smooth transition was actually very time consuming. The actual cutting wasn’t that difficult, but figuring out how to get all the pieces of the song that we wanted, plus making it the right length, and then making the spliced together parts sound smooth was difficult. I think that if she had chosen a different piece that didn’t have so many key changes, it would have been much easier.

I was really pleased with the outcome, but it just took a lot longer than I thought it would.

I cut my dd’s floor music using GarageBand also. We have a Mac and the software came free with the Mac.

I found cutting floor music to be a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. The song dd chose had a lot of changes in key, so choosing the places to make the cuts so that the pieces spliced back together would sound like a smooth transition was actually very time consuming. The actual cutting wasn’t that difficult, but figuring out how to get all the pieces of the song that we wanted, plus making it the right length, and then making the spliced together parts sound smooth was difficult. I think that if she had chosen a different piece that didn’t have so many key changes, it would have been much easier.

I was really pleased with the outcome, but it just took a lot longer than I thought it would.
Audacity is slightly easier for that part too. I also have a Mac. My older mac had an older version of Garage Band than my newer one does. With Garage Band, my problem was making sure there wasnt a "gap" where i made a cut. I had to zoom in so far to make sure. Audacity automatically does that and allows multiple "undo"s. I cant remember if Garage Band does.

Pro tip 1: when you want to cut music and know you want certain parts - start with the LAST part you want and work backwards toward the beginning. That way, the "times" you wrote down for parts you want don't change with each cut. If you start with the first part you want (example: 0:10 - 0:23), then once you cut the first ten seconds, all your later times are messed up.

Pro tip 2: make your cuts at "natural" transitions or at a repeat.

Pro tip 3: If you are really close to the time length, but just barely over, speed up the entire piece ever so slightly and it will be shorter and there is no perceptible difference. (I took a 1:03 piece and sped it up to fit in 1:00 and couldn't tell a difference).

I used to cut them with "Audacity" and i was usually taking some faster and slower parts. I also rmemeber someone who recorded her playing the piano for her floor music. It all depends on what you want!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back