How to deal with rips??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
Hi - DD has increased her training time over the last 1-2 months. As a result, there is more time on bars and the conditioning the do on bars like pull ups and leg lifts, etc.

So the problem is she now has more rips on her palms. She sometimes uses tape to provide a buffer.

My question is what tips or methods have you heard to help with the healing of rips? I just heard chapstick and tea bags from another mom at the gym. Does that work? What else can we try?

Thanks!!

Teabags do help heal your rips. When your DD is doing bars it helps to wear a tape grip, (under her grips if she has them) over her rip.
If you get the USA Gymnastics magazine there is an article called "NOT ANOTHER RIP" it tells how to prevent rips. What causes a rip is when your calluses gets to big or thick a rip will apear. It says "purmice stones, calluses razors, and even podiatric sanders can be used on the calluses on your hands." It helps to "shave your calluses down until there is enough protection for the palm, but not until the tender pink skin underneath is approached."
I hope this helps her from having any more rips. Good Luck to your DD this year! :)

Like GymGirlBri said, tape grips help. What I do is I put the tape grip on and then will wrap tape over the tape grip where the rip is. This way, it will prevent the rip from ripping more. After the rip starts to heal, just use a tape grip. I haven't tried chapstick on rips, but we use chapstick to help with hot hands.

Band-aid brand blister bandages are magic.

To prevent rips, take a long bath or soak hands until the dead skin turns white. Once it's white you can use something to scrape off the dead skin. Then the callus won't get too big and peel off on the bars.

get her to soak her hand/hands in salt water for 5-10 minutes. DO NOT put a band-aid on because she needs the fresh air to be able to help heal her rip. I have had many many rips in my past, and this helps. Also, at gripsetc.com they have a bottle of cream especially for hands that are sore and ripped from bars, and it helps heal really fast! Does your daughter wear grips? Grips also help amazingly, I used to rip once every 2 weeks now I havent ripped in about 3 months! :)

To help rips heal faster, use a lot of polysporin. Keep it on as often as you, can without a band-aid. Put some on in the morning, whenever you wash your hands, at lunch, at supper, and befor you she goes to bed. Don't cover it when she goes to bed because, once it rubs of it will give the rip a chance to be exposed to air. Keep the rip moist, don't let it dry out (polysporing does this) I like plysporin because it is painless unlike vitamen E or aloe. I do this and an average rip will be healed in 2 days. While training bars, put on some polysporin, then put a bandaid on top, then cover it in tape sideways (depending on where it is, inbetween thumb and index finger to other side of hand, or below the thumb), once that is done make a tape grip on top of it. (total about 3-4 layers of tape). It might sound like a lot but while training she shouldn't feel a thing, or very little. I am training level 7, and this is what I do, it works amazingly. Grips also help. I have tried many things and this seems to be the only one that works.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back