Parents How to get gymmie to do physical therapy?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
I wish my DD were self-motivated around doing her PT exercises. She is not. She is 10. She is supposed to do them 2x day. Anyone have any suggestions for getting this done without mom nagging at every interaction?

no exercises, no...............?

gym ?
TV?
Internet?
whatever pushes her buttons, oh and I would also say without me having to remind you every day.

Plus I am a great believer in tick charts, do the exercise, tick the chart, get a "well done"

I think once they start feeling better, the urgency to do the exercises unfortunately wanes. That is when it gets hard.
My dd does exercises to strengthen certain body parts (to try and avoid injury). I have found it helps to have a routine and a chart. And while it may sound silly, when she completes the weekly chart, she earns computer time for the Disney cross roads game with dad. She also knows that I won't drive her to gym if she doesn't do the exercises (I am a hard *ss mom on this one, and because she lives for gym it works). So she gets it done.
In your case I would probably go with the chart and the positive reinforcement?

We just went with routine. I drilled in into YDD daily for about a week and then she just kinda fell into the habit. She has to do them first thing in the am- and if she dawdles it eats up her reading time before we start school, and then she has to do them at bedtime. She has a gadget she uses for her wrist and we keep in on the nightstand next to her medications that she also takes at bedtime. When she looks to take her meds, she remembers to do her pt. I wouldn't bribe her or punish her, but rather keep reminding her that she only benefits or hurts herself with those actions. For the first month (approximately) we also employed a handwritten sign on the bathroom mirror as a reminder.

I wouldn't bribe her or punish her, but rather keep reminding her that she only benefits or hurts herself with those actions.

It's all in the phrasing... We never ever bribe or punish... But positive re-inforcement & incentives to achieve the desired behavioural out come, & natural consequences associated with undesirable behaviour... Yep- we're all over that!!

Although the ideal is reminders of the benefit or hurt from not doing the Pt ; for a lot of kids they need a stronger back up of rewards/ consequences until the desired behaviour becomes consistent.

I think if mine was older I would do the it's on you approach.
But at the same time, I don't need an injury when it can be prevented. I probably won't do any incentives when she is older, but I do believe in natural consequences....if you don't do your ot, uou must not want to go to gym. Woo hoo! Mom gets a night off...

The chart approach has been successful with my 9-year-old for all kinds of daily obligations that are easily forgotten or avoided. We offer some type of privilege or outing as a reward for earning a certain number of check marks.

The "no exercises, no practice" approach is very effective if you have the guts to stick to it. We did that with homework once and it produced excellent results. Natural consequences!

When my kids have taken a stance on refusing to do something, especially something that is rationally in their own best interest, I ask them what the problem is. Why is your daughter not wanting to do her PT exercises? If you understand that, maybe you can find a solution. For example, if she is bored doing it, you can suggest doing it with her, or having a friend over to hang out with her while she does them, or letting her watch some favorite thing on TV or youtube while she does them, or something. If the exercises hurt or seem pointless, maybe talk to her therapist about tweaking them or having another appointment for a refresher (maybe she has forgotten how to do them correctly.) If they take too long, maybe breaking up the sessions more would help. If she is just forgetting, figure out where exactly they would fit best into her daily routine and use a chart and/or alarm of some kind in such a way it will remind her, etc.

I used to schedule an appointment with DD... I would tell her that she should do it at 3 pm on Sunday afternoon for example. Then I would remind her as 3:00 approached and I think the fact that we identified a time together made her feel like she made a commitment to me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back