how to get less rips/no rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Always on bars i get rips alll the time i try everything to get rid of them and they hurt alot any way to not get them at all or that they will be less painfull??

LOL welcome to Gymnastics!! Rips are a constant along with blisters, callouses, and some part of your body hurting.

Shave your calluses down if they get too big. You can use a dull razor or this scraper thing they make specially for it. Wear good grips - dowels as soon as you start learning clear hips and giants. I prefer the ones with a buckle on the wrist - I think they shift around less and are generally higher quality. If your hands are dry and cracking, use moisturizer once a day. I have to do this during the winter, or my hands will bleed every day.

Expect to get little rips pretty much all the time. Sometimes you will just have to work through bigger ones as well. I just got back from practice, and my hands are actually doing pretty well, but they still look like a war zone.

Do bars more often for a shorter length of time. Some apparatus may be done say 2-3 out of 4 days for an hour or so. It can be better to do bars every single day for 30-45 minutes. Avoid gymnastics holidays, each time you take a week or two off then you will find you rip more. And wear grips.

Well, I have grips, and I haven't been getting them. Depends what level you are to get grips. You can ask your coach.

My dd's head coach came out and told us that every night, the girls should be soaking their hands in as warm of water as they can stand until their hands start to prune. Once they are pruned, dry them, then put lotion on them. Cover them with gloves (plastic preferred) and let them sit for 20 minutes. He said this softens the hands so much that they will prevent rips. I've noticed that once we started doing this, dd's hands are MUCH softer and no rips now. Hope this helps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back