How to get on pre-team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum. My daughter just turned five years old and has been taking a recreational gymnastics class for three months. She absolutely loves gymnastics, much more than any other activity we've tried. She focuses very well in class, despite the fact that it is full of rowdy older girls, some of whom are more than twice her age. She seems to have very good balance on the beam and often has nice lines with pointed toes, etc., but is tiny for her age and not very strong.

The practice at our gym seems to be to move some girls out of the recreational classes and onto pre-team very early on, before they have mastered many skills. One six-year-old in my daughter's class was moved up after she'd been taking gymnastics for three or four months. She was clearly a faster learner than most of the other kids, but couldn't yet hold a handstand, do a straight cartwheel, or do a pullover. Another mom told me her daughter had been moved out of a preschool class into a special invitation-only class when she was just four years old. The process of getting onto pre-team is very mysterious and apparently coach-initiated.

When I took gymnastics as a kid way back in the Mary Lou Retton era, the pre-team girls at my gym seemed to have what would now be at least Level 4 or 5 skills. Is the current trend to identify the "talented" girls very early on and divert them to a special track immediately? If so, what are coaches generally looking for? I certainly don't want to be a pushy mom, but I'd like my daughter to have the opportunity to build more strength and learn more skills than she's currently getting in the rec class, where most of the girls seem to be there just to play around.

This will vary from gym to gym. Probably no two gyms do it exactly the same. Now, this is my opinion as a parent. If you feel comfortable talking to a coach, ask. Tell her how much your daughter loves gymnastics and how happy you are with the rec class (don't start by saying "so-and-so told me that there is a secret advanced preschool class and I think my daughter should be in it") and ask if there are certain skills that they are looking for before they move her up. Sometimes knowing that there is interest there on the part of the kid and the family makes a difference. In the mean time, take her to the playground and let her climb on the monkey bars or climb a tree and go swimming and all of those fun things kids do that make them stronger. IMO, the secret advanced preschool classes mean very little in terms of overall gymnastics development.

I'll be interested to hear coaches' opinions on whether or not a parent should approach a coach about this, and if so, how. It truly is hard to know how to walk the line between being interested in your child's progression and making your interests known, and being labled a CGM.

I don't think my older dd would have ever been evaluated for pre-team if she, herself, had not told her rec coach that it was her goal. She went to the 6pm rec classes because I'm a single mom who works full-time. I don't think any of the kids from the 5:30pm and later rec classes were pulled without a parent or child denoting interest (probably because the coaches thought that the parents couldn't get the kids to pre-team practice (which starts before 4pm). I could be totally off - but I think that expressing interest (not demanding a move) wouldn't hurt.
At our gym there are several levels in the pre-team program and girls can come in when they are really young (around 4) or when they are much older (11-13). When my older dd expressed interest she was flexible but not very strong. One of the things she asked her coaches was what she could do to get stronger. She was 7 when she decided she wanted to try to be a competitive gymnast and at that age, I decided that she needed to speak up for herself. If she had been 5, I may have talked to the coach myself.

Secrets to getting invited to pre-team:
-always be on time for class
-bring your child in a real gymnastics leotard
-have your child's hair tied back properly
-take your child to the restroom before class
-make sure child is clean
-keep any siblings quiet and under control in lobby
-pay your bill early
-ask the instructor if there are options for a child who would like to come more than once per week

Talk to her coach and let her know you and your dd are interested in the competitive path. It sounds like your gym likes to move anyone who shows foundation skills, not necessarily excellent gym skills. Many coaches here have said that having a child who can listen, follow directions, is respectful, and is eager to learn is more preferable to a child who is really talented but has a bad attitude (or parent has a bad attitude). Obviously, At some point, the child has to show some grasp of the skills to move up.

Flexibility and strength are always good things to work on at home but do it in play at that age - playground equipment, biking, swimming.

Dd's gym works similar to yours and I was really gun shy to speak up in the beginning. she started going at 4 and the coaches placed her in advanced classes early on but it took me telling them we were interested in team for them to look at her for preteam.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

-pay your bill early
-ask the instructor if there are options for a child who would like to come more than once per week

I would agree with all of this. At our gym it really is based on what the class coach see/wants from the child. I coach a pre-team lvl of pre-school kids who have been hand picked to be in the program. Most of them I have pulled from classes I run or have helped in and only every once in a while will another coach ask me to evaluate a child. I look for commitment from the parents, getting there on time and every class since we do build on prior classes.

That said, I also coach an advanced class and I have 11 girls. I spent half the year training lvl 4 skills and working on lost of flexibility and strength. For the first time we had what was basically a try out to move up to the pre-team lvls. I suggested all but two of my girls go and try, every one of them moved up to either our A or B team. All of them wanted more gymnastics but no one ever really said anything and other coaches didn't move/pick up on the desire for more.

I have another advanced girl who wants to do pre-team, and really should go to lvl 4 when we move up in June but she has other things she also does so she can't. Her mom spoke to me yesterday of what they would like to see out of gymnastics and I was able to alter the class to meet her needs. She is ready for more but realistically the team track isn't one for her. So instead of the slow building I do in this class to prepare for team we shifted it to bigger gymnastics for fun and worry less about perfection.

I would suggested talking to the front desk and asking for more gymnastics and possibly talking to the instructor. Let them know what you would like out of gymnastics for your child.

Another option might be signing up for another day. When dd started, I signed her up for two days of rec because she didn't want to do any other sport/activity and I wanted her to have the exercise (we homeschool, so no gym class). I think this helped her get stronger and more flexible quickly and also showed a commitment to the sport. Just something to think about!

I would suggested talking to the front desk and asking for more gymnastics and possibly talking to the instructor. Let them know what you would like out of gymnastics for your child.

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies so far. I have talked with the instructor a couple of times--in fact, the instructor mentioned the advanced preschool class as an option early on, then changed her mind and decided to keep her in the rec class since the other class had already been together learning more advanced skills for several months. At this point, any more inquiries from me would definitely put me in the crazy pushy mom category. We may try to do two rec classes a week during the summer if she doesn't get moved up by then.

my ds wanted to do team and i asked the HC about it.(we were doing rec with 2 kids at the time)
He was a bit 'old' at 7.
HC said - right, come here (quite brusque) - touch your toes - took him to a high bar and hung him on it by his hands - pull yourself up - lift your legs. Took him to the pit to the platform to get on the high bar - cross your arms and fall backwards (did have a demo kid to do this first) - it was high! - come here jonny and co (3 other kids ) - all race to that wall and back.
Then as he must have passed muster said - okay bring him tuesday and thursday at 4 - 6 for the next 4 weeks - he cant do his rec class in this time - no charge for the extra classes
This was a trial period - with no extra charge. If it worked out - fine - if it didnt he could go back to rec.

DD when 9 (ancient!) got asked to try the pre team class (the others were age 6 - 8 ish) which she did for 3 months - again no extra charge compared to rec - just a trial

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies so far. I have talked with the instructor a couple of times--in fact, the instructor mentioned the advanced preschool class as an option early on, then changed her mind and decided to keep her in the rec class since the other class had already been together learning more advanced skills for several months. At this point, any more inquiries from me would definitely put me in the crazy pushy mom category. We may try to do two rec classes a week during the summer if she doesn't get moved up by then.

Sounds like they don't like putting new kids in established advanced classes. This makes sense. A lot of gyms will only switch kids at the end of the semester unless a new child comes to the gym with previous experiece. You may just have to wait until they move kids up as a whole. But I would still talk with the "powers that be" to let them know you are looking for team path for her in the future. Does your gym do try-outs? That's another way to go... Have her try out. Then they know you're interested and they will evaluate her based on team placement.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

For boys, I often move them into new groups based on the "I've tapped you on the shoulder, you should move to this group " promotion method.

For either girls or boys, if there parent seems less bat crazy, that is a BIG plus. Huge. If they are, I am way less willing to put them into team. One of the only things I learned in 2 years under one men's coach was to not promote up boys with crazy parents. That and 2 drills and that principle was way more useful.

Ideally, we would prefer to get possible team kids into the developmental/pre-team programs ASAP. Better coaching, more focused training. What skills they have currently does not matter so much as how fast they learn and their physical potential.

Other than that, Never pretty much hit on the nose.

-pay your bill early

I was going to say a lot of this. More than one class per week (with some classes only being 45min, more than one is really not too much). And it is important that the child look the part - proper gymnastics outfit and hair pulled back tightly in a ponytail or bun. It's not just aesthetic - when they look neat and the hair is neat, their skills get neater and more focused too because they aren't adjusting things.

Also - if you can't go more than once a week, or even you do two 45min classes, try to add a good ballet class.

It is not an exact science in most gyms and quite often being at the right place at the right time can have a lot to do with it. While rec kids are usually brought into classes at anytime. Most gyms like yo start pre team and team groups together and have them move forward at a similar skill level. So a lot of it can have to do with the fact that those kids happen to be ready to move into the group at the time when the group was starting.

Things coaches look for is often
1. Body type
2. Size
3. Natural flexibility
4. Natural strength
5. Natural speed
6. High levels of coordination
7. not much fear
8. teachability.

First gym we were at, preteam was a complete mystery. I know a six year old with front and back handsprings, and lots of other skills, perfect body type etc. Mother has never been approached about preteam. I have no idea how they pick kids.

Gym we are at now. In spring, all rec kids who are in advanced beginner or beyond are given a flyer for tryouts for Prep op (Excel) team and USAG team. They try out. They are told which team is recommended for them. They can join or not or stay rec. Preteam is a year curriculum for each group, so they don't add new kids mid year. The cycle for a new preteam group starts in the summer. Goal for preteam is to make Level 5 team in 3 years. They are looking for kids age 4-8. Prep op kids can start at any age over 6.

OK you've talked casually with the instructor. It is unlikely to hurt, if you have a head coach - owner, to approach her and say "I would like my daughter evaluated for pre team (or pre-pre team, hotshots, whatever is the first level). Could you do that?" and if told they are doing that in class, say very friendly, "Is there a time when move ups usually take place?" Then if she is not placed in the developmental stream then, you know it's time to shop around, maybe call up a competing gym and say, "What is your first level of developmental classes for team and when can I bring my daughter for an evaluation?" Doesn't hurt to do an evaluation.

I agree, it doesn't hurt to sign up for multiple days of rec either, pending move ups.

Biggest secret is let the coach or person making the decision know your child wants to do it and as a parent you will support her being on a pre-team or team. Don't make it just a passing by casual conversation have a real conversation and ask what skills she would need to get to be considered etc. Let them know its ok to be honest with you and tell you your child doesn't have what it takes or what ever the good or bad news would be. If they don't know you are interested in that route they may not look as closely as you would hope.

I know the gym I was at it was more than being recommended by chance - Parents had to let the owner/coaches know it was something they would be a part of too. Going down this road is a huge commitment that only gets bigger every year both financially, time wise, and family event wise and gyms want to know that you will give up things to make this happen.

Another secret gymnastics truth. Many teams also pick their team kids based on parents. Once they are a team kid they will eventually be in the gym 3, 4, 5 or even 6 days a week and parents will have a big roll to play. You want to appear supportive but not annoying. I know of many kids who have been skipped over for team because they felt the parents would be too difficult to deal with. I know that is completely unfair but it really does happen.

Do let them know that you are keen for team and will be supportive, but don't go to the coach every week and ask if your DD is progressing and what has happened that week. They want parents who will also trust the process.

ANother key is your attendance. We have lots of great gymnasts who we don't pick because they aren't that consistent with attendance and will miss class for small things. If they miss class on team it can have a very big impact on their progress.

I don't have much to add, I agree with others that you should let her coach know. Getting on preteam seemed to be a mystery at DD's gym also. My DD started expressing interest in preteam and team just before she turned 8. When I saw that she was serious about it, we started asking questions about it and let her coach know that we were interested in more than just rec classes. I think we only mentioned it to her coach once and I asked questions at the front desk maybe twice. After that, we just trusted the process and a couple of months later she was invited to preteam.

I think how mine (the 10 year old) got picked was the most mysterious of all. We got a letter in the mail telling us she had been picked to be moved to the HotShots programs called Monkeys when she was 6 years old. I don't know why they picked her, she was only attending once a week and wasn't the strongest or fastest in the class. We figured her coach saw something in her we didn't and went with it!
From what I have been told coaches like kids that are teachable and focused.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back