How to learn handstand press?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't know how people do these. Is there anyways to build up to them?

Is it supposed to be easy?:(

How are these little girls so strong?!?

Simply put, the smaller you are the greater strength to weight ratio you can possess. If you are teeny-tiny, it takes less strength to make your body do things.

Presses are also a matter of active flexibility in the hip flexors and pike and straddle. As well, if you are teeny tiny, the hip flexors only have to engage a lighter load compared to a preteen or teen/adult sized gymnast.

No, it's not supposed to easy. It does take skill, besides some strength and good flexibility.

So do you think flexibilty is more important than strength for this or they're both pretty important?
How could I get my shoulders stronger for this move?

Speaking as a technicallly inexperienced mother of a fearless 4 year old boy...

...my son started by doing it in a headstand position rather than a handstand position. Then one day he decided to take it up into a handstand position.

I'm not sure how they formally teach it, as they don't even teach handstands at his age at his current gym (and yes, we are switching after this term ends), but it seemed to work for him :)

I can already do it from a headstand, but it feels super hard from a handstand.

You think I should practice more headstands?

No don't practice more headstands. There is no way to compare you to a 4 yr old child. Firstly you are over 6' tall and therefore I guess you weigh close to 200 pounds, it is not going to work the same for you.

How about you try handstands against a wall, then lower down to a straddle stand, if you go slowly it will build strength. Lowering your body is a good way to build on the skill.

When that becomes too easy try working on the press up from a standing straddle. It takes some time and a lot of work to build the strength and flexibility for this skill.

You're very helpful Bog, thank you.
When you say next to a wall does my back face the wall or my belly?
A sraddle is when you make your legs in a v shape, right?

She probably means stand facing the wall and then kick up to a handstand so that you end up with your back to the wall. While in the handstand, pull your legs apart like a V and then lower your legs at the waist slowly. See if that helps.

She probably means stand facing the wall and then kick up to a handstand so that you end up with your back to the wall. While in the handstand, pull your legs apart like a V and then lower your legs at the waist slowly. See if that helps.

Yup, what she said!:D

We use a LOT of different drills in my gym for presses. There are so many ways to build up the strength and do it in baby steps. I'll be glad to post them or email them to you if you're still interested.

TuesdayPillow, Post them here, that way when someone else searches for them they'll be here and easy to find. You can also tag them under your poast, that makes them even easier to find later.

Thanks,

Bog

Yea, I would like to see the different ways build up to them,I sent you a PM about them but you can post them here instead if you want.

TuesdayPillow, Post them here, that way when someone else searches for them they'll be here and easy to find. You can also tag them under your poast, that makes them even easier to find later.

Post them here!! :) ^^^
I'v been reading up on press to handstands in these posts all along, you just didn't know it! lol

good ideas so far from everyone, I will definitely be trying what Bog suggested (start in handstand against wall and lower down slowly from there).

I am also an older gymnast so it will probably take me awhile to get this, but don't worry I will eventually!

So do you think flexibilty is more important than strength for this or they're both pretty important?

This is one of few skills where one can be substituted for the other.

I've seen a number of girls with average strength and above average flexibility who can do presses easily. And I've seen a number of guys with excellent strength and average (if that) flexibility who can press pretty well.

I bet the handstand straddle thing will work good, I'm not supossed to do handstands until my cast is off though.:( while I can't actually practice them I'm trying learn as much about them as I can, so I like reading all the different ways to learn them.

I just did one against a wall for the first time.:cool:

I think I'll be able to learn it some time!:)

6 foot 4 press handstand..... coming soon:D

...... or maybe not so soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back