Coaches How to make your kids look like robots?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PalmTree

Coach
It seems like robot-kids (I say this endearingly) score the best at meets. In the compulsory workshops there was a lot of talk of being "dancy" and "flowy" in movements, but in my area at least, that is NOT what the judges are looking for. How do you make your kids, especially 6 year old Level 3s, look that way? I find that they can do it if I relentlessly make them repeat the same movement over and over…but I also find that that makes the dropout rate much higher.

Any thoughts? Do you need a video reference of what I'm talking about?

No matter how well it scored, I would not want kids who look like robots. This is call ARTISTIC gymnastics.

It's not the robotic type the judges are looking for but technically clean movements. Robots tend to do technically clean movements. They also are all the same and make it look like work that has to be done. They don't perform, they just do.
I don't know about the USAG system but over here there aren't a lot of deductions you can give for missing artistry. Plus the girls coach (and parents in the stands) will immediatly start throwing chalk at you....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back