How to straighten legs in back walkover?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I just got my backwalkover :) so happy! But one thing I want to work on is straightening my legs in it so if you have any tips so I can still complete the kickover part without losing the power with straight legs I’d be grateful thank you!

Try working on doing backwalkovers up onto a panel mat. ( stand in front of the mat and put your hands on the mat)This might help you push off your bottom foot more so you can get less power from bending your legs.

Do you do bridge kick-over with straight legs? Usually people bend their legs when they have difficulty getting over, but you'd usually deal with that in a kick-over so by the time you get to back walkover it wouldn't be a problem. You might need to go back to doing bridge kick-over and work on getting them really confident and consistent.

Are your legs straight in a bridge kick-over? Try starting your back walkover with the front leg completely straight, not touching the ground. If you bend you back leg (or push off leg) you can try this drill that my coach gave me when my back leg was bent in my back handspring step-out. She had me push up into a straight leg bridge with my feet elevated on a panel mat. She then put a small beanbag in between my feet and had me push off the panel mat with straight knees. Try this a few times. The same probably applies to BWO.

The straight legs should actually make the skill easier not reduce your power. If you have straight legs your front foot will be further over your hands making it far easier to transfer your weight over.

When doing a back walkover start with your leg up at horizontal, imagine there is a string attaching your elevated leg to your hands, as your hands go back, then your foot has to go with it.

Are you keeping the leg you are standing on very straight and locks tight. If not this can cause compensations that make it hard to keep your front leg straight too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back