How to tape a rip for a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
DD has a meet tomarrow and ripped really bad today. It is about the size of a nickel on her palm. I have been reading past articles looking for information on rips and several of them mention taping a rip for a meet. So how do I do this and what do I need? Please help asap.

When I tape a rip I make a tape grip rather than putting tape directly on my hand as I find it more comfortable and whenever I put tape directly on the rip it hurts heaps to peel off and it usually rolls up when you swing on the bars.

get a piece of athletic/strapping tape about the length of your forearm and fold it in half lengthwise. Then make a loop at one end and tape it together. This loop can then sit around her middle finger and the tape will cover her hand and you can just secure it at her wrist with tape.
I hope this helps and good luck to your daughter!! :) :)

I tried to make pictures to go along with the description......

Attachments

• tape grip.JPG
    tape grip.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 426
Laura did a very good job! Do just as she said, use vaseline on her rip, and I'd also suggest putting pit foam in between the tape and rip to cushion her rip.

DD got a HUGE rip today... one of her callouses ripped off. Her coach said to first put neosporin on the rip, cut a circle from a balloon (evidently it won't shift under the tape), use the athletic tape to secure it and then it will cusion the rip once you put your grips on. DD will be trying that tomorrow night. It SOUNDS really good in theory!

thanks eeyoretumbles! :)
I should have also mentioned I always teabag my hand when I have a rip.
wrap your hand in cling wrap and cut a hole where the rip is. Put a used tea bag on the rip and secure with more cling wrap. put a sock or glove over your hand and sleep with it like that. The tanin in the tea helps speed up healing! During the day don't cover it so that it gets air on it and make sure you keep it well moisturised to prevent cracking of the skin etc.

Thanks for all the great advice. The tape job turned out great. I was still a little worried before bars that it would still hurt and she wouldn't do as good of job but after watching her warm up I could relax a little. She acted like nothing was different.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back