How to train for flares?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been trying to learn flares on the floor. The best I can do so far is the front part of the flare; I do it counter clockwise. When I try to swing my right leg under my left leg, I usually just fall on my hip or stomach.

Got any tips for me?

Are there any exercises for flares?

It's that thing people do on the pommel horse where they spin their legs around. not circles, it's the one where their legs are spread apart.

Here is a video of flares on floor:

[youtube]-1x4rhtBkWw[/youtube]

It's hard skill to evaluate without seeing. Can you do flares on a mushroom?

Umm, can you do circles on floor? Gymnasts train an extended circle before training the Thomas Flair by straddling their legs.

Generally it goes something like this:

-circles on mushroom or some sort of pommel circle device

-flair on mushroom or:

-circle on floor mushroom or front loops on horse
-then train flair on whatever surface

OK...check this out:

[youtube]DtGzYcGiVYQ[/youtube]

For some reason the videos won't play for me, do you have a link to them?
I thought circles would be hader to do on the floor than flares?

I'm gonna try take a video of what I can do today, and maybe you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I like that video. Most times dudes who post tutorials do rush jobs, but this guys was good. He actually made some reallllllly good points about the flairs.
If i were you and you dont have much gym practice or anything i would do what he says. Don't even worry about he mushroom circles.. Mushroom circles on the ground are wayyyyy harder than flairs. Plus the entry this guy uses really takes out the need for the circle.

I'm gonna try take a video of what I can do today, and maybe you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

This is the video that JBS embedded YouTube - How 2 Breakdance: Flare Tutorial very good tutorial, liked the mans attitude.

Your video wasn't bad at all, though I couldn't tell you how to get past that point! Good luck.

Here is the link to the vid...this video is awesome. It really covers your problem perfectly. Your hips are dropping too much (not enough extension) in the front...this is the part of the video at 1 min. 50 sec. Also, pay close attention to the part about "kicking your face"...about 3 min. 30 sec. in the video.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtGzYcGiVYQ

While I understand why gymnasts and breakers like to start with the one hand approach, as a coach we like to have them put that second hand down on the entry. Simply put, you are stronger on two hands than one and thus you can generate more force into it.

While I might feint with one hand, I put that hand down before I pick it up as my body goes through it.

Thanks for the video, I think it will help alot. I'm excited to try some tomorrow.:D When I do my flares it feels like I'm kicking close to my head, but I see I have to kick alot closer.

It looks like I should be able to learn it if I keep practicing right?

Oh and Bob, are you saying I should start my flare like this?

YouTube - gymnastics flares

Yep. Whether you train the breaker style flair or gymnastic style flair you still should enter with 2 hands.

Yep. Whether you train the breaker style flair or gymnastic style flair you still should enter with 2 hands.
Is there any big difference between breaker flares and gymnast flares?

From what I can tell, gymnasts usually point their toes and keep their legs alot straiter and wider. Are those the only differences?

I would have to say that it depends on what you're trying to do with your flares. If you are a breaker, it all depends on what you're doing in your dance.

I think breakers should practice the 2 hand entry. I also don't see a problem with gymnasts learning the 1 hand entry.

Little update.
Ever since I posted that video my flares got junker.
But tonight was the secound time I went to a gym, and after I was warmed up I started trying them. I did my best one ever... still didn't do a complete one, but it gives me hope again. I always start it with two hands now too.

I also learned tons of new moves on the tumble track, roundoff back layout, front half twist to back tuck and I tried a full twist and fell off the track.:D

The gym is super fun, I wish I could go all the time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back