Coaches How to use gloves in straps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PalmTree

Coach
We have a men's high rail that has pvc pipe on it and we use it as a strap bar. How do you strap someone in with gloves (so they can practice wrist shifting)? What kind of gloves do you use? Anything to be careful of?

The gloves must fit exactly to the gymnasts hands, any loose material is likely to get caught and cause injury. The trend here is toe socks with the tips cut off so the fingers fit through (no excess), bit of a fashion statement to have the trendiest color combination and design. Total supervision is needed when young/newer gymnasts are learning how to strap in, and all skills are done with a coach standing by initially until very proficient...just in case.

But it's not opposable like the thumb is on normal hand gloves. I can't picture it, haha.

Thanks, Pineapple Lump! Would you say it's very difficult to go from regular strap bar (PVC pipe) to gloves? I'm trying to find an easier transition from straps to real bar. I never used gloves on men's rail as a gymnast, so it's brand new to me. Do you strap them in the same as usual?

Has anyone tried the Velcro straps called "ultimate straps"? They are from a gymnastics company... Maybe tumbltrak? I thought it would make strap bar sooo much easier because you can make it as tight or loose as you need it, but the kids I coach don't like them. I think we aren't using them right...they are pretty confusing.

Has anyone tried the Velcro straps called "ultimate straps"? They are from a gymnastics company... Maybe tumbltrak? I thought it would make strap bar sooo much easier because you can make it as tight or loose as you need it, but the kids I coach don't like them. I think we aren't using them right...they are pretty confusing.

I wanted to try limited use (slow and safe) velcro straps but the kids revolted. I let them win their social experiment with democracy/anarchy?... because I hadn't heard of anyone using velcro straps. It seemed like it would be nice to have an infinitely adjustable strap so I thought what the heck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back