HS Meet Report- Coach's Version

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I had posted in the "Good Luck" forum about my first meet with a new time, so decided I would write a quick, update report. It was just a small, local meet with one other local team that is of a similar skill level (no club teams in the area, so these kids have at most a few years of once/week rec. gymnastics experience). However, the other team did arrive with a former club gymnast who just moved to the area who helped with their scores a bit. Oh well, it just prepared our team for things to come at bigger meets out of the area.
Started on floor, and did okay. Really sloppy performances from all but one girl, something we really need to work on. It has not been a priority in years past, so that process really needs to be drilled into their minds in the next few weeks. Headed to beam (wacky rotations) where there were lots of falls, missed connections, forgotten choreography, missing requirements- but overall not bad. Easy scoring, so some nice, motivating scores to start off the season with and glimmers of hope for some of the girls who did not think they could possibly hit their skills under pressure. Vault was a solid event, our best by far. One girl vaulted for the first time for a pretty good score, 2 did easier vaults than they are capable of- so hopefully are more willing to upgrade for the next meet, and one did the best vault she's capable of doing. Bars was rough- all the girls needed a spot on at least 1 skill and only 2 have flyaways, many don't have the required number of skills, so their routine SVs were in the 6-7 range.
We placed well behind the other team in terms of score, and the local judges don't really compare to the ones we'll see in more gymnastics-experienced areas, but it was a pretty solid start to the season. A lot of the girls have some more drive to learn more skills and improve the old ones which is what I had hoped for going into the meet, so I feel that was perhaps the best possible outcome rather than a numerical win.
We have another meet tonight against the same local team and one additional one with slightly more gym experience, so we haven't had much time to make changes and any major improvements. Our first big meet is on Saturday against the big name schools, so hopefully this extra meet experience and 4 workouts this week will help gear them up as much as possible for that experience!

glad it went pretty well for a first time out. Im sure it isnt going to be easy when you go against teams with girls that do club gymnastics but not much to be done about that.

sounds like everyone is on the same page & knows where the work is needed.

good luck tonight

Sounds like a very successful meet! The scoring for the HS meets just can't compare to club meets... everyone's got the different start values, teams are either good or not depending on who happens to attend the particular school, etc. And don't even get me started on the floors our girls have to compete on! My DD doesn't even like to do floor in HS because it hurts her knees/ankles... oh well.

Anyway, you going to the "B" Invitational Sat? DD's team was supposed to go, but the coach cancelled it because they have their own home meet on Thurs. and he thought it would be too much back to back competition. The team only has 2 former club gymnasts this year. One of those is my DD who is battling w/a very severe ankle sprain right now (currently in PT for the ankle). But it's going to be an interesting season and the girls do have a great time together, don't they?

Congrats on your first competition!

Yup TQM, that's exactly where we're headed on Saturday. It's going to be a marathon of a day from what I hear with lots of exceptional teams. We're just looking at it as a fun opportunity for the girls and a chance to get "real" scores from some tougher judges.
Sounds like your DD's team will really be counting on her this season, I hope the ankle starts feeling better soon so she doesn't have that to worry about. And the floors really do stink, I can't blame her for not wanting to compete it. The HS gymnastics thing has been an interesting journey so far and a pretty big adjustment, but I am really enjoying the laid back atmosphere of the meets.

Well, sounds like things went pretty well..all things considering. Now everyone knows what to expect..and where they really need to buckle down and get to work on. Sounds like you are doing a great job with them..keep it up..by the end of the season you will be loving it..lol

Yup TQM, that's exactly where we're headed on Saturday. It's going to be a marathon of a day from what I hear with lots of exceptional teams. We're just looking at it as a fun opportunity for the girls and a chance to get "real" scores from some tougher judges.
Sounds like your DD's team will really be counting on her this season, I hope the ankle starts feeling better soon so she doesn't have that to worry about. And the floors really do stink, I can't blame her for not wanting to compete it. The HS gymnastics thing has been an interesting journey so far and a pretty big adjustment, but I am really enjoying the laid back atmosphere of the meets.

Aw heck, I wish we were going now!!! Anyway, the whole HS gymnastics thing does take a total different kind of mentality, doesn't it? Good luck and I'll be checking the scores after the meet! Good luck to your school!!!

Thanks! We'll be at some other bigger invitationals out that way later in the season, so perhaps our teams will meet at some point.
I just wanted to share a quick brag about my team at their meet last night. It was very similar to the one I posted about above, only 2 practice days between the two so no time to really make any changes. But during down time some of the girls on our team were cheering for girls on the other team. So while they might not have big skills, they are great sports. I also caught a few of the girls from very different social groups within the team who don't typically hang around each other talking and carrying on during the meet which made me a very happy coach! We have our fair share of attitudes (they are teenage girls), but all in all they are a great group of girls who are really working to form a great team :D.

LOVE IT!! And that's what we call "sportsmanship!" I do love the fact that a lot of the girls from different schools know each other from club gyms, and they're ALWAYS cheering on girls from different schools. The only other invitational we're scheduled to go to is the P V Invitational in January.

LOVE IT!! And that's what we call "sportsmanship!" I do love the fact that a lot of the girls from different schools know each other from club gyms, and they're ALWAYS cheering on girls from different schools. The only other invitational we're scheduled to go to is the P V Invitational in January.
We'll be there as well. Invitationals are our only option if we want to compete with teams other than the two in our immediate area (well, one in our immediate area and one within a reasonable after-school drive).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back