Parents Huge bummer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hmmm . . . this thread is making me wonder. My daughter is a 13-year old L9 and has never worn tiger paws or complained of any wrist pain so I never thought about it. Of course, I was a gymnast and competed for years with minor stress fractures and always wore wrist braces. I just never considered doing as a preventative measure. Perhaps I should discuss with her and her coach. Always getting new things to think about here. Thanks!

FYIY, mine did wear tiger paws as soon as she started training yurchenkos and bhs on beam, so around level 4. Didn’t make a difference for her.
I’m not sure when your daughter wears hers.

I can only speak to our situation. When my daughter’s wrist issues presented and I got her tiger paws it was to provide wrist support for gymnastics. To me that meant all gymnastics. Her wrist take weight on all events. And once I discovered wrist support was an option, while she did PT and other things the tiger paws were my hard line in the sand. Sure we can do all the other things and standard of care to mitigate but wrist support became mandatory to keep doing gym. With my kid and the coach. If you want gymnastics it’s with wrist support otherwise no gym. And they were both cranky at first. Both long over it now.

So she doesn’t just wear them for vault. She wears them for every thing except bars. They are on for vault, beam, and floor. Every practice and every meet.

So perhaps that made a difference??? And might help those now in the situation, perhaps ?

Its been about 4-5 years. She has an occasional twinge or flare depending on what she is training. But it’s manageable. She has had some other injuries that have caused her to be out of gym over the years. But not the wrist.

She wore them for all vaunt, tumbling, and beam tumbling. I’m not saying they didn’t help your daughter, I’m simply saying they don’t always prevent it, even when started early.

She wore them for all vaunt, tumbling, and beam tumbling. I’m not saying they didn’t help your daughter, I’m simply saying they don’t always prevent it, even when started early.
Thanks for clarifying.

Certainly everyones situation is different.

Again, JMO and experience. I do think they certainly don’t hurt. For me it’s a case of if I knew then what I know now. I would of put them on her before she even had pain. For me, once it’s no longer recreational I consider them required equipment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back