Coaches hurdle question from a video

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Invisible Duck

Coach
Gymnast
I was watching a video linked in the parents forum (Watch this kid!) and then went on to watch some of the other videos of the same girl. There were a couple of training videos and I was wondering about a vault set up they had.

YouTube - Gymnastics Training - April (they start vault at about 47 seconds in to the video)

You can see that they have a stack of mats before the board so that they must jump over them. I often use a single mat (poison mat!) to encourage a long hurdle (i.e. so they get to close to the board before jumping).
My question is with such a high stack of mats to jump over would that encourage a high hurdle (as opposed to a long low hurdle) or is it benificial?? (or am I crazy and the mats are not really that high to make a difference! :p)

(clearly watching her vault it hasn't hurt her!! ;))

I hope this question makes sense!! :)

I think it's fine.. it's level with the board, which is about right. Personally, I use a small wedge mat that stacks up about that high so they have to be moving in a long eliptical onto the board.

It's about level with the highest part of the board. I've seen it before (also using panel mat instead of a sting mat to start introducing the yurchenko entry to smaller kids). Hitting too far back on the board is a big problem with beginning vaulters, giving them something the height of the highest part of the board sometimes helps in my opinion. With some kids, I guess it might encourage a higher hurdle...but the hurdle is rarely ideal at that level anyway, not saying you can't shoot for it, but I think of hurdles as a sort of "continuous" progression. When they're first learning I think you're doing pretty good to get them not to hurdle too late (run up to the board) or to hit the back of the board. We used a front mat (like a yurchenko mat, the kind you can use in competition) for all vaults when I was an optional, and I think the compulsories use it now too. One problem with the set up in the video is transitioning away from it and having it carry over because you can't use mats like that while competing. You can put a yurchenko mat though, even for front entry vaults.

you can also put a piece of tape on the runway as a reminder where the jump point is..

at least in high school competition... Im not sure about FIG/USAG etc..

Thanks for the answers everyone! I usually use a thin mat (like a yurchenko mat) but maybe I will try something a bit higher and see how they go?

Personally, I use a small wedge mat that stacks up about that high so they have to be moving in a long eliptical onto the board.

haha..... stupid question...... which end of the wedge do you have closest to the board? the small end or the higher end??

I have the low end facing them, so they feel they have to jump along the angle.

I dont tell them that, though, unless they just dont figure it out.

However, I will re-iterate, it's a small wedge mat. It literally goes up a little over the height of the board. You still want them to see the springboard, which can be difficult for smaller gymnasts, if the wedge is too high.

^^^ Thanks Ryantroop

yeah I have something in mind that I could use, but I will have to measure it up when I get in to the gym next, other wise I will probably just stick with the single mat.... it's worked pretty well so far :)

That kid is way to coordinated for a 6 yr old. It seems strange.
The drill would be pretty good, i have to say that i will definitely use it. Personally i don't spend to much time teaching the hurdle at that age, because you just not going to get it right. However! as it was said it doesnt mean you don't work it.

Humm..that kid for a 6yr old seemed pretty damn able, but my guess is that she will be rushed and will either suffer injury (walkovers being an example of to much to fast..just cause you can doesn't mean you should), or will just tire... On the odd chance that she lasts the distance. i seems she has the facility to really go somewhere.

Thanks for pointing out the vid

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back