Parents Hyperextended (double jointed?) arm

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kellyb

Proud Parent
My daughter broke her arm at the elbow 2 years ago, had pins placed, and wore a cast for about 3 months. She recovered well and regained all range of motion and strength quickly; and her surgeon said he didn't foresee any long term problems resulting from
the injury. She hasn't had anymore appointments since those initial couple months of follow up. BUT-- I have noticed lately, when she is supporting herself up on bars--the arm that was broken hyperextends -- bends backwards a little further than the other one does. I know there can be problems that result if the arm does not straighten completely out--but I'm wondering if problems can occur from the arm bending too far backwards. There isn't any pain. As far as I know she doesn't even realize it happens. Has anyone experienced this or ever had issues because of it?

My DD elbows really hyperextend! I would say they can bend about 10-15 degrees backwards. It hasn't caused her any problems at this point. Looks really weird though, especially when she salutes because she throws her arms out and pop goes the elbow :)

DDs elbows also hyperextended a lot. So far she hasn't had any problems,besides her arms never appearing straight. She has to be careful to not lock them out though. I don't know if it makes a difference that hers are naturally like that versus your DD who it sounds happened after surgery though.

The problem with hyperextension (of any joint) comes in the form of osteoarthritis, and it usually occurs after they are done with gymnastics.

Yes problems can occur on vault/floor/impact. She needs to learn how to block with a straight arm not hyperextended.

Coachp: how do you teach that if the joint is hypermobile? I think it can be reduced with stability exercises, but not completely eliminated.

Coachp: how do you teach that if the joint is hypermobile? I think it can be reduced with stability exercises, but not completely eliminated.
==
Lots of handstands, blocking drills etc... with a straight arm. But yes, from time to time they will lose focus and hyperextend it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back