WAG Hyperextended knees, ankles and elbows

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey everyone! So I have hyperextended knees,ankles and elbows but not from an injury I think I was just born that way. The thing is, in some gym moves, I get hurt more easily because of it. For example, when doing a back handspring, my elbows really hurt and I have to be careful not to lock my elbows so that I don't dislocate them. So I have to have my arms slightly bent but then I need a lot of strength to not fall on my face. So I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to make my arms stronger to protect my elbows. And also if any of you have any exercises for my knees and ankles as well, that'd be highly appreciated!

Ankles? A gagillion heel/toe raises besides stuff like straight leg bounces on ball back and forth down the floor and one legged hops across floor.

For knees? Squats or Lunges. You could also do Step-Ups, really big Step-Ups.

For elbows. Lots of pushups and pullups/rope climbs. Some dumbbell curls even. And of course, lots of straight arm (locked) Handstands.

Pink and Fluffy suffers from hypermobility - the physio prescribed excercises for her. I would go and see a PT and get some excercises to strengthen the joints.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I have a massive bend in my elbows and my physio recommended handstand push ups and dumbbell curls, which have helped with the pain to an extent. For ankles I'd go with ankle/calf raises, and even box jumps. Pretty much everything BlairBob has mentioned

Basically, get them as strong as possible regarding connective tissue and extra muscle mass.

and Pray.

Conditioning. And be careful with stretching- don't overdo it.

I knew a girl affected by this who had to give up as her shoulders dislocated if she went near the bars. She ended up doing very well in rhythmic gymnastics :)

Hi hublaur, I am a physical therapist. The best thing you can do is to strengthen the muscles around the joints to try to stabilize them. You can't change the mobility or tighten the joints, so muscle strengthening will try to compensate for the increase in hypermobility. We include a lot of stability exercises for the upper body in GymnasticStrong programs.

I have read a couple of your replies, and it seems like your purpose in CB is to promote your DVD's and own business. Even in your profile, you make sure to give a link to your web page.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back