Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hyperextending knee in front aerial

emmagraced31

Former Gymnast
Jul 25, 2019
Country
USA
Today I was at the cheer gym I go to working on front aerials on the tumble track onto the big pillow mat. This is the first time I’ve ever worked on front aerials. so I was doing them and at first wasn’t landing them then towards the end I started doing them and I kinda landed on my heal and then I would fall and my knee kept hyperextending and it was horrible pain and I was really close to getting that skill! I tried to ask my instructor why I kept landing that way and he just said I had to lift my hips up more and arch and couldn’t explain why my knee was hyperextending! The inside of my knee is hurting and I put KT tape on it and doing R.I.C.E. to heal faster. I’ve already been told I lock back into hypertension in my knees at dance... My question is why is my knee hyperextending badly when I land my front Aerial and how can I stop it from happening in the future? Any tips or drills are greatly appreciated!

- Emma

Aussie_coach

Moderator/Coach
Staff member
Verified Coach
Coach
Proud Relative
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Judge
Club Owner
Fan
Jan 4, 2008
Country
Australia
There are a number of factors that go into making the front aerial successful. Any one of them could be causing problems. The angle of the front and back leg on take off, the way you are using your arms, the position of your head, the position of your torso, a lack of flexibility or strength I’m a particular area and so on. You really need the trained eye of an experienced coach to watch and give feedback. It doesn’t sound like yiu are getting that.

Please don’t underestimate the dangers of this skill. Skills that land on one leg have a much higher danger of injury, as the impact is not evenly distributed on both legs. You can do a very serious injury landing it badly, they can result in knee dislocation, torn ACL, breaks etc. I recommend you seek quality coaching on this one.

Reactions: Jard.the.gymnast

jamieintexas

Coach
Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 30, 2017
Country
USA
I am not a fan of landing one legged skills on a pit pillow. I feel like it is too easy to land wrong.

Reactions: CoachAngel
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Parent Forum 17
G Gymnast Forum 1
G Women's Artistic Gymnastics (WAG) 3