WAG I am so unsure....should I try to get stronger or just keep my strength?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flaviatumbles

I am from Italy, but in the USAG System I would be exactly a L7.

I am a teen already, so I would like to focus on perfecting my skills, keeping my strengths and becoming a good coach, beside the busy school life! Almost all of my former gym friends dropped out of the sport but I want that gymnastics will always be part of my life!

So the last year has been pretty tough for me as I had an appendix operation and my gym closed for 2 months due to construction work.
Anyways, I worked hard and I am at the same Level as before.

Here is my question for you:
I want to keep my skills as long as I can. I do not want to learn more advanced skills, although I love playing around with double flips and twists.
I am sure that I am strong enough to perform my current skills safely.

BUT

some people tell me "go for more! the stronger, the better!!!"

Here is what I can do right now:

8-10 deadhang pull-ups
20ft rope climb in straddle L
30 tricep push-ups, elbow touching the body on the sides
10 pike push-ups (hands as close as possible to hands)
10 dips all the way down
40-50s tuck planche
40secs inverted hang
5 kip extensions all the way up and down
15 full hanging leg lifts
12 half hanging leg lifts
15-20 squat jumps with ankle weights 1.5 lbs each
1 straddle press from sitting
1 pike press from stand

Should I go for more? Is there even the possibility of a lot of progression?

Should I try a Back Lever/Front Lever/Human Flag/Adv. Tuck Planche/More Handstand Presses in a Row?

In my gym, there are a lot of Elites. They are really amazing, but no one of them can hold a front or back lever....

I am so unsure, because if you tell me that I am maybe just half a year or a year away from back and front lever, I would give it a try. But if it would take like years of training, it's not even sure if I will ever get it, then I won't mind not having these skills, because they are actually pretty unnecessary.

I hope you understand my point. I don't want to waste potential or possibilities if they are really in reach, but if it takes too much time, effort, the risk of injury to tendons and connective tissue, than I think I don't really want to go for it, because I don't need it.

Any opinions and thoughts appreciated!

At your age you should not consider yourself peaked in strength. You have a lot of strength that can still be gained as you develop your adult muscles.

I would continue to work to gain strength as long as possible into the adult years especially if you hope to maintain a high level of strength throughout your full life. The period from 20-30 is crucial in this area.

However things are a little different if you are in competition season. In this case periodisation comes into play and there should be a maintenance period where you are avoiding body changes.

At your age you should not consider yourself peaked in strength. You have a lot of strength that can still be gained as you develop your adult muscles.

I would continue to work to gain strength as long as possible into the adult years especially if you hope to maintain a high level of strength throughout your full life. The period from 20-30 is crucial in this area.

However things are a little different if you are in competition season. In this case periodisation comes into play and there should be a maintenance period where you are avoiding body changes.

Thanks for your advice. I am 17 at the moment, I weigh 120lbs and I am 5'3''. My hips are quite narrow, but my shoulders and arms are really big. All my friends call me boy because I look a little manly :D

Anyways, what I really want to work on is my press handstand on the "long" side of the beam, so where your hands have to grab really narrow. I still don't manage to do that.

But as far as levers, leg lifts and planches are concerned I don't know if I should work on that or not.
At the moment, I am doing all the stuff I mentioned above 3-4 times a week after training, 3 sets of each. So 3x10 pull-ups, 3x15 leg lifts etc.

My coaches say that if I could keep that strength until I am 25, I am pretty good because not many female gymnasts keep their strength until they are 25 unless they are collegiate gymnasts or so. And of course, I would like to keep it as long as my heart desires!

But what do you mean by "my strength hasn't peaked yet"? What would you say, which goals should I set myself?

Ah and btw, I am not competing this year, but still in the gym 18hrs a week!

When I say yours strength hasn't peaked, it is due to your age. Women's strength does not peak in their teen years.

The only reason women often lose the strength they gain in their gymnastics years is because they stop doing anything to maintain it. Your strength should not peak until close to age 30.

When I say yours strength hasn't peaked, it is due to your age. Women's strength does not peak in their teen years.

The only reason women often lose the strength they gain in their gymnastics years is because they stop doing anything to maintain it. Your strength should not peak until close to age 30.
This! As a dancer, I don't expect to peak until my early 30s - and with my body in surprisingly better condition even that most dancers my age, I stand a chance at pushing it for even longer. I think you should definitely keep going, especially as you're still only a teenager. Your body has years left of improving! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back